Need video card to use two monitors

jerry8989

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2011
I have a Dell Optiplex 330 computer that comes with the on-board video card. I would like to have two monitors that will act as one desktop. I want to drag windows back and forth across the monitors. I called dell and they said that this is not possible with this on-board card. In the specs for the Optiplex 330 it says I have 1 PCI Express 16x slot. Here is the link to the manual http://www.dell.com/downloads/global/products/optix/en/optix_330_techspecs.pdf

Can I get some suggestions for a low cost card that will do what I want and deliver good quality.

Thank your for any help.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
Yes a new mid-range graphic card is inexpensive, will perform better than what you have now, and you will be able to use 2 monitors with an Nvidia card, or 3+ monitors using an AMD card. If you don't game much, you don't need to invest more than a hundred bucks on a graphic card.

golfer72

Distinguished
Aug 22, 2011

I saw this answer and would appreciate the answer to one more question. I have the desktop version (narrow profile) and was wondering if the video card you are sugesting would fit in that chassis? I bought a PCIe x 16 card and it is too wide.
Thanks,
David

Wolfshadw

Titan
@Golfer72

What you're looking for is a "Low-Profile" or "Low-Profile Ready" version of the card. Note that the Low-Profile Ready version should have a standard sized installation bracket and two smaller installation brackets for low profile systems.

Something like this ASUS HD5450. Note in the last image, the two smaller brackets.

-Wolf sends