Sign in with
Your question

Question about ivybridge compatibility of Sandy mobos

Last response: in Motherboards
November 6, 2012 10:20:30 AM

I'm looking to build a new system, using an ivybridge processor. Because I'm not exactly looking to OC the cpu, I've looked for the cheapest reliable brand mobos that works with ivybridge. These tend to be sandybridge mobos with ivy support, as long as you do a bios update - So my question is, do you need to have a sandybridge cpu in the 1155 slot, or can the bios update be done without any cpus?
a c 557 V Motherboard
a c 113 à CPUs
November 6, 2012 10:37:27 AM

Hi, Look for features like Flashback for ASUS boards. Not sure for other models.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
November 6, 2012 11:07:01 AM

Ivy-Bridge cpu may work on the Sandy-Bridge cpu's motherboards but you need to flash the Bios first.
m
l
Related resources
a c 75 V Motherboard
a c 188 à CPUs
November 6, 2012 1:23:52 PM

xtreme5 said:
Ivy-Bridge cpu may work on the Sandy-Bridge cpu's motherboards but you need to flash the Bios first.

+1 for xtreme5 and Alexoiu

For most of the "6" series boards you will need a Bios update in order to support the 3rd generation Intel® Core™ processors. There are a couple ways that you can get this Bios update.
- You can get lucky and find it on a board in stock. The updated Bios showed up on most boards in January, so there are some "6" series boards out there that have the updated Bios on them. If you are buying locally check before before you buy as the Bios version is generally marked on the box.
- Update the bios by putting a 2nd generation Intel Core processor in the board. If you don't have one I have advised that you look for a local reseller that has one and can update your Bios for you. You can find some local reseller at http://inteltechpros.com/
m
l
August 22, 2013 5:51:29 AM

Buddy İ had same problem almost a year ago, i built a new system with a 3770k and asus P8Z68 V-LE i have explained the situation to where i bought the card and they sent the mobo for a bios update to distrubitor of my country and then when card returned to me it worked perfect...
So it'll work but ask employees to update the mobo and they will give the mobo to you after update...
m
l
!