Sign in with
Your question

Extra Memory for Dell Dimension E521

Last response: in Memory
November 6, 2012 5:12:29 PM

Hello,

I'm trying to revitalize an old computer (Dell Dimension E521) by adding extra RAM and a new graphics card.

With regard to the Memory, my system currently has 2 identical Qimonda 512 Mb, DDR2, PC2-4300 (266 MHz) modules.

I thought upgrading the RAM would be relatively straightforward, and proceeded to buy an ICIDU DDR2, 667 MHz, CL5, 1 GB module. However, the module does not work either in combination with the original 2 modules or by itself (screen doesn’t turn on in the first case; beeps in the latter).

Can anyone tell me what type of RAM I should install on this system? The manual states that it is preferred for additional modules to be installed in pairs, but I’m reluctant to buy a similar module while I’m not sure whether it will work.

The manual lists the following information on Memory:
Type 533-MHz, 667-MHz, 800-MHz (when available) DDR2 SDRAM
Memory connectors four
Memory capacities 256 MB, 512 MB, or 1 GB non-ECC
Minimum memory 256 MB
Maximum memory 4 GB

And this is some additional information on my system that I found using Speccy:
Operating System
Microsoft Windows XP Professional 32-bit SP3
CPU
AMD Athlon 64 X2 4200+
Windsor 90nm Technology
RAM
1,00 GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 245MHz (4-4-4-12)
Memory slots
Total memory slots 4
Used memory slots 2
Free memory slots 2
Memory
Type DDR2
Size 1024 MBytes
Channels # Dual
DRAM Frequency 245.2 MHz
CAS# Latency (CL) 4 clocks
RAS# to CAS# Delay (tRCD) 4 clocks
RAS# Precharge (tRP) 4 clocks
Cycle Time (tRAS) 12 clocks
Bank Cycle Time (tRC) 17 clocks
Command Rate (CR) 1T

Thanks.
a c 128 } Memory
November 6, 2012 7:49:13 PM

I would use crucial ram; it's guaranteed to work if you order from their website. I would also check your local craigslist for a pair of 2 gb sticks; take your box to the seller's place and test it first. I've seen some 2 x 2gb kits go for as low as $40 used. I wouldn't spend too much on such an old system. You'd be better off by getting a new low end system, especially if you live in the usa and can order during black friday or cyber monday.
!