Can my power supply handle this ?

leetbeast

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
I am thinking about buying a 550 ti since my 5750 is having problems every since i split water on it. I have 480(generic no name) watt power supply with a i3 550 , 4b of ram , and 1 tb hard drive. will i be able to power this card without having any problems please hurry and let me know thanks.

cuecuemore

Distinguished
My rule for generic PSUs is if it has the requisite 6-pin PCI-E connection, then you're good to go. A quality 480w unit would be able to power 2x 550ti in SLI, your CPU, and a mess of hard drives/fans.

EDIT: The other part of my rule is that you need to be well over wattage. So even if you have 2x PCI-E power connectors, I'd recommend getting a new PSU for an SLI setup of any sort.

leetbeast

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
i have a problem my parents wont let me buy a new power supply since the bought my computer and they think it is pointless to put money into it anyways( I know very dumb ). But i am going to buy one anyways from best buy i have a anti static wrist strap should i be fine when installing it then? i don't want to replace it then break my computer and have to tell them whats up lol

cuecuemore

Distinguished
Yeah, you should be fine. Computer components are now many times more resistant to damage from electrostatic discharge than they were were 20 years ago, so even the most basic precautions will protect you quite well. What model PSU re you looking at getting? Is there absolutely no possiblity of getting one online? (I don't have anything against Best Buy... oh, wait, yes I do :))