G

I currently have an 8x Toshiba DVD drive and a 2x Smart and Friendly CDRW drive on an MSI BX-Master board. They are both set as masters on their own cables on IDE1 and IDE2 (note: the harddrives are on the onboard Ultra66 controller). I've been able to enable DMA on the drives before on a previous motherboard but after I switched to this one it's no longer possible. The BIOS settings are normal (pretty much default) and the drives are detected just fine and the DMA box is there in Device Manager... but after checking them and restarting DMA isn't enabled! I checked with SiSoft Sandra 2001 just now and it also states that DMA is not enabled on the drives. I've updated to the latest BIOS and I'm in the process of trying some of the olders ones too... but can anyone tell me why I can't enable DMA on either drive? They both operate just fine right now, but I would feel a lot better if I could enable them, especially for the CDRW drive cause I don't feel too safe burning without DMA enabled. Thank you.

-poch

G

Have a similar problem :(

I just upgraded to a A7V and Tbird 1000. I setup my harddrive for ATA-100, then installed the drivers for the ATA-100 controller and installed the motherboard drivers. But now I cant enable dma on my cdroms either. Though my problem is slightly different. When check the dma box and reboot, windows wont even see my cdroms, even though bios detects them fine. When I uncheck the dma box windows then sees them fine.

Am stumped. any ideas?

G

Until yesterday I had the same problem :)

I've upgraded my VIA drivers to 4.27 Beta (http://www.viahardware.com/download/index.shtm#4in1). After reboot DMA was checked by default. By the way ASUS A7v bios prior to 1004 has problems with secondary ide dissapear under Win2K.

Good Luck

Willem van Egmond
The Netherlands

G

I wish that was the case... it might be some kind of program but the program I'm using is Easy CD Creator 4 and it doesn't disable DMA, at least not in other computers I've worked with. Plus why would it disable it on the DVD drive? It actually recommends to enable DMA. Anyway this only happened after a motherboard switch so I think that has something to do with it. I'm in the process of reinstalling windows to see if that helps. Thanks for the tip though.

-poch

G

which version of Windows?

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

G

I'm running Win98se on all my computers. Why, should that matter?

-poch

G

because older versions of Win9x have to have bus mastering drivers installed ..and they often played havic on ATAPI drives. But Win98SE should not have a problem. Try manually enabling UDMA for the device in the bios. I've seen some bioses use PIO4 or worse even for AUTO setting on ATAPI drives.

***Hey I run Intel... but let's get real***

PatMcGroin

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2001
here are some ideas on dma. I dont think the links are active so you will have to type them. good luck
1) MAD about DMA

Wow! What a commotion the current WinMag article on DMA caused! (See
http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2001/02.htm ) Many, many
readers have reported instant speed increases similar to the ones I
reported (5-15%); and all just by clicking on the right choice-box in
Windows.

There have been some interesting side effects, too, such as this note
from reader Ralph Todd:

Your suggestion on turning on the DMA function to increase
the speed speed of various drives had an unexpected
benefit. For weeks I've been unable to defragment my new
20gig Maxtor hard drive due to a dynamic drive overlay that
the software automatically installs. For some reason, when
I turned on the DMA function, it apparently bypassed the
BIOS limitation on my old pentium pro 200 and the norton
utility defragmentation now works perfectly.

But, as the WinMag article said, you have to test to be sure, because
it doesn't work on all machines. And sometimes, the test leads to
further discoveries:

Your advice to activate DMA mirrors my own advice up until
about a month ago. However, a close friend did extensive
tests, timing large transfers from drive to drive, some
IDE, some SCSI (IDE to IDE, IDE to SCSI). He found that
with DMA enabled, the transfers actually took longer (5% or
so) !! (Win98) Of course (I suppose) this is irregular, but
increases in speed cannot be guaranteed !!
In addition, I have encountered troubleshooting guides for
CD writers that request that DMA be disabled if problems
occur. There is obviously more to this than meets the eye.
Perhaps some MoBoards or perhaps chipsets do not respond
properly to DMA transfers.
There was also an issue for certain versions of win95 as
whether to use the MS or Intel Bus Mastering drivers, which
could alter the results. This is not an issue with win98.
http://developer.intel.com/design/chipsets/drivers/busmastr/index.htm
I believe that ALI & VIA chipsets use their own bus
mastering drivers, and of course improved versions from
what windows installs can always be downloaded. --- Greg

Some users of Win95 SR2 and early version of Win98 found something
else, such as:

Check out the article at
http://www.microsoft.com/hwdev/devdes/idedma.htm It seems
that the good programmers at MS forgot to add a key line in
Windows 98 that allows DMA to be enabled at all. You must
go manually into the inf file Mshdc.inf and under
ESDI_AddReg section add the lines (if you are one of the
lucky ones they may actually be there but in a lot of
systems they are not) HKR,,IDEDMADrive0,3,01 and
HKR,,IDEDMADrive1,3,01 below it in order to enable the
driver.--- mouse51

And some CD/CDR/CDRW users dug out additional info on using DMA with
those drives, like this:

You may want to mention in a followup to your story on
enabling DMA an apparently common problem with CDROM/CDRW.
When DMA is enabled, the Windows 98 Explorer will sometimes
not recognize the drive, even though it shows up in the
System Properties in Control Panel. I spent hours trying to
figure this one out, finally ending up (should have gone
there earlier...) at the MSKnowlege base. You can read all
about it here
http://support.microsoft.com/support/kb/articles/Q235/8/59.ASP
Even after reading through the MSKB article it took
some fiddling to get it to work, but now my Plextor CDRW is
working great...*with* DMA. --- Butch Berney

Thanks to all who wrote!

DMA is a hot and complex topic, and well worth checking out. But if you're going
to try modifying the DMA settings on your system, be sure to read
both the current article (
http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/2001/02.htm )and the older one
it references ( http://www.winmag.com/columns/explorer/1999/1206.htm
). If you follow the instructions there, odds are you WILL see a
speed increase and you WON'T have trouble. But as the combined
articles fully explain, even if you do have trouble, there are simple
ways to get back to exactly where you were before

You Dont Want To Be The Last to Know Anything.

G

I had this problem on a Kt7A raid. I kept selecting DMA for my CDrom and CDRW each on separate channels of my onboard ide controller. Turns out that the situation was caused by a resource confict. The system did not show one but once I freed up some resources (eliminated unused com ports) and forced the system to reallocate resources the problem was solved. I have no knowledge of your board, but I believe both channels should be set to auto in the bios.

ABIT KT7A Raid; 1ghz T-bird; 256 MB CAS 2 Ram; VisionTek G-force 2 GTS 32 Mb DDR; SBL Plat 5.1

G

Hey, thanks for the tip. I do have both channels on auto so unfortunately there's nothing I can do there. My next attempt will be to do a clean install of Win98 (don't worry, I can just ghost a clean back up copy after backing up the current) to see if that solves the problem, meaning I'm probably having the same problem you were having. BTW, how's your system running now? I have the exact same video card, sound card, and memory speed/sized in one of my computers along with the PIII 700@933 and BE6IIrev2 which has the same controller as your board. I would love to do some comparative benchmarks to see how the different board/cpu compete. Oh, and how much are you able to safely overclock the memory on your video card? Do you overclock at all?

-poch

G

Hey. I just thought of something else. If in fact this is and intel to via upgrade and you ghost your fresh install, you won't solve your problem (if you ghosted from a fresh install on the intel system). The fresh install should be from a cd and then immediately load the 4in1 drivers 4.25 or 4.26 is the current official version. I run 4.28A beta with no poblems.

ABIT KT7A Raid; 1ghz T-bird; 256 MB CAS 2 Ram; VisionTek G-force 2 GTS 32 Mb DDR; SBL Plat 5.1<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Confounded on 02/04/01 07:25 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

the reason might be one of the device on the IDe cable doesn't support DMA

G

The only devices on those two IDE cables are the DVD and CDRW drives and they both support DMA. I know this because I was able to enable DMA for both of them at one time or another on a previous motherboard. I still don't know what's wrong... I haven't reinstalled Windows yet.

-poch