How to fully optimize Windows 7 Home Premium Edition

jhoffy2255

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
How can I get the most out of my fresh Windows 7 installation? I have a Lenovo B570 with a 2nd Gen i3 processor and 4GB DDR3 RAM. 500 GB HD.

I use my computer daily and work from home on my computer. I run a lot of memory intense programs and software so full optimization is necessary. I almost always have multiple programs open.

I would like to know what programs I should get(ie Tune Up Utilities, Advanced System care) for optimization?

And also, what settings can I change to help pull the computer along better?

And lastly, I have 1 license remaining for Norton 360, should I go ahead and use it? Or should I get something else?

I was also planning on getting Malware Bytes as well.

Thanks for the help!

jhoffy2255

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Okay thanks. Lastly, any settings I should alter as far as memory optimization?

I am going to be installing everything onto a fresh hard drive including the OS. How can I get the wireless card driver so that I can go online to get all of my missing drivers? I have heard of a program called driverpack solution that I can use to get all of my computer drivers up to date after a fresh install. Is this what you recommend?

jhoffy2255

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011
How can I download them without having internet access? Keep in mind that I am upgrading from windows vista to windows 7 so I won't have the wireless card driver preinstalled.

jhoffy2255

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I have two computers so I can download the driver separately but I'm having yet another problem! On the computer that I'm on right now (specs above) I am trying to access my jump drive to move this wireless driver to it to put onto my other computer with the fresh install of windows 7 but I get an error:

E:\ is not accessible. Access denied.

I have tried googling for a solution but I have no idea what to do.

Norton is prolly the fits in the de-optimizer category :)

I like .....

Steven Gould's Cleanup for getting rid of useless stuff
Ccleaner for my registry housekeeping
Powerdesk and File-Ex for File Management
MozBackup for backing up T-Bird and FF
DriverMax and Secunia PSI for making sure things are up to date

I hadda drop all my freeware Malware, AV stuff.....now have site licenses for Zone Alarm Internet Security Suite .... too many PC's to manage doing manual updates.

As for as moptimization, I still create a small partition for just page and temp files at the outer edge of the disk....unless there's an SSD of course

jhoffy2255

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

Okay, just checked and permissions aren't set. However, I try to add the administrator account(me) as the new owner and I get this:

"Unable to set new owner. Access is denied."

jhoffy2255

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2011

I personally only use Thunderbird so it would be nice to be able to back that up. Will DriverMax run through my hardware and update all of my drivers? Similar to Driver Genius and Driver Solutions?

Can you give me a resource that will go into further detail about how to create the partition to optimize my memory?

TRENDING THREADS