Sign in with
Your question

Dell 8100 (SPECS INCLUDED) Upgrading to Nvidia GeForce GTX 560

Last response: in Components
January 11, 2012 3:06:41 AM

Hey, I recently priced a EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 for my Dell studioXPS 8100 and bad a few questions.

1) The card needs a 500w PSU, I only have 350w, I plan on buying a PSU but how do know it wi be compatible?

2) The GPU I chose is PCIe 2.0 x16 while my motherboard is PCIe x16, I've learned that this will put limitations on the signal between the motherboard and the GPU but how severe will they be?

3) I pretty much have my mind set on a GPU but I still need a PSU to support it. If anyone else is in this predicament or is knowledgeable enough to help me out your help would be greatly appreciated. My budget is $400 MAX but as it stands my GPU is $180 + S/H and I doubt the PSU will exceed $200.

Thanks so much!

January 11, 2012 4:41:06 AM

compatibility in psu's is pretty much a non issue they all pretty much standard.
you can get a decent psu over 500w for under $100 better off getting a better brand less wattage than an el cheapo 850w or something though stick to the name brands
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

should be good
m
l
a c 259 ) Power supply
a c 87 Î Nvidia
January 11, 2012 6:02:50 AM

All power supplies are NOT compatible especially when dealing with OEMs like Dell. They are notorious for using proprietary internals.

I THINK you have a standard ATX power supply in that computer. You can do better than a CoolerMaster though. This is a much better choice for the same money and is modular. That will help in a cramped Dell case.

Your computer will have no problems with the PCI-E version. It will not limit that graphics card at all.

The only problem you might have is the graphics cards length. Dell does not necessarily use standard size cases as I stated above. You need to measure your case to make sure the new card will fit. The GTX560 is a 9in card.

Get the GTX 560Ti over the regular GTX 560.
m
l
Related resources
a c 1168 ) Power supply
a c 86 Î Nvidia
January 11, 2012 6:08:10 AM

wunderdub said:
Hey, I recently priced a EVGA Nvidia GeForce GTX 560 for my Dell studioXPS 8100 and bad a few questions.

1) The card needs a 500w PSU, I only have 350w, I plan on buying a PSU but how do know it wi be compatible?

2) The GPU I chose is PCIe 2.0 x16 while my motherboard is PCIe x16, I've learned that this will put limitations on the signal between the motherboard and the GPU but how severe will they be?

3) I pretty much have my mind set on a GPU but I still need a PSU to support it. If anyone else is in this predicament or is knowledgeable enough to help me out your help would be greatly appreciated. My budget is $400 MAX but as it stands my GPU is $180 + S/H and I doubt the PSU will exceed $200.

Thanks so much!

For a system using a single GeForce GTX 560 graphics card NVIDIA specifies a minimum of a 450 Watt or greater power supply that has a combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 24 Amps or greater and that has at least two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors.

1) The Dell Studio XPS 8100 mini tower case uses a standard ATX (PS2) form factor power supply. The EVGA GeForce GTX 560 graphics card is 8.25" in length so it should fit in the case without overhanging the motherboard.

2) The Dell Studio XPS 8100 G3HR7 desktop motherboard has a PCI Express 2.0 x16 slot so there won't be any PCIe compatibility issues or limitations.

3) The Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze 520W for $59.99, with its combined +12 Volt continuous current rating of 40 Amps and one 6-pin and one (6+2)-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors, will work fine with your system.

The Seasonic M12II-520 Bronze 520W for $79.99 is the semi-modular version of the above Seasonic S12II-520 Bronze 520W.

Stay away from the Cooler Master eXtreme Power RS600-PCARE3-US 600W. It is from Cooler Master's very low-end offering and is really a 450 Watt power supply with a label slapped on it showing 600 Watts. It can't even deliver the labelled power. If you buy it for the $69.99, it's selling for, you're getting ripped off big time.
m
l
January 15, 2012 5:58:42 PM

Thanks so much guys for the help and tonnes of responses, I can finally make a confident purchase! Cheers!
m
l
a b ) Power supply
January 19, 2012 1:39:28 AM

anort3 said:
All power supplies are NOT compatible especially when dealing with OEMs like Dell. They are notorious for using proprietary internals.

I THINK you have a standard ATX power supply in that computer. You can do better than a CoolerMaster though. This is a much better choice for the same money and is modular. That will help in a cramped Dell case.

Your computer will have no problems with the PCI-E version. It will not limit that graphics card at all.

The only problem you might have is the graphics cards length. Dell does not necessarily use standard size cases as I stated above. You need to measure your case to make sure the new card will fit. The GTX560 is a 9in card.

Get the GTX 560Ti over the regular GTX 560.

Not true. I just moved my Dell Studio 530s over to a new fullsize case no problem. That was true 10+ years ago, now they are all microATX or ATX boards with ATX compatible supplies.
m
l
!