I need advice with some components.

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: (Getting the final parts in November)

Budget Range: 1,5k

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming mostly, multitasking

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS, Case, Hard Drive, Optical Drive, Cpu cooler,

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: Cancún, Mexico

Parts Preferences: Intel, Nvidia, CoolerMaster

Overclocking: Yes

SLI or Crossfire: Yes

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900 for now and 1920x1080 later

Additional Comments: I already plenty of parts for the build, im mostly seeking advice for choosing the right motherboard and graphics card, I posted a month ago here and got alot of help!

Intel Core i5-2500k

Corsair Vengeance 8GB

Cooler Master Silent Pro 850w PSU

Ok this is where i need help choosing,

I have been planning to buy the GA-Z68X-UD4-B3 Motherboard for a long time, but looks like it became unavailable on newegg and the supliers where i live already don't have them on stock anymore, so i looked for an alternative and came to this board GA-Z68XP-UD4 which is basically the same as the one i was gonna buy, but with an hdmi port im never gonna use.

I got an excellent opportunity now as a family member is going to US for a couple of days and took a look on newegg and came across these boards that don't exist on Mexico at all ASRock P67 EXTREME4 GEN3 and ASRock Z68 EXTREME4 GEN3 Which both seem really great as they both have Pcie 3.0 are futureproof and even have nice extras, but i really don't know the quality of them, or if they are reliable (barely know ASrock or not at all) If someone can give some input about these, Also i'm really wondering if i really need the Z68 chipset? Since i'm not even gonna use on-board video and just going to overclock CPU and GPU, is the P67 chipset fine? is it more stable?

And my finally, i have been planning to get this Gigabyte GTX 560 Ti but i might just get this instead EVGA Superclocked GeForce GTX 560 Ti then again this EVGA card doesnt exist in Mexico, only the Gigabyte one.

If i plan to SLI later, will a combo of those work? or should i just the both identical Gigabyte cards?

Also i wanna know whats the typical shipment time of newegg? i have been reading its just 1 day, if anyone can tell about this i will appreciate it!

Thanks!, hope its not too long :sweat:

woomba

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
In what world does that kind of build cost $1500? It looks to be more like a $1000 build to me no matter how you cut it. I have some experience with Asrock motherboards, and they tend to be overall less reliable than Gigabyte and Asus boards.

But really, if you are only going to have a 2500K as your base CPU, with a $1500 budget, future proofing is difficult since you're going to be able to max out a balanced build with that money already. Any future upgrade would be maybe an SSD. But if you want to upgrade graphics, you'd need to up the CPU.

Also, why are you going after the superclocked cards any ways? You should only go for them if you get one that only takes up 2 slots, and even then, the price per performance shifts in favour of cards with stock coolers if you plan to have more than 1 card.

I think that before you make any major decisions, you need to figure out how much money you are going to invest in each part of your build. Follow the toms hardware builds in the past to get an idea of a price ratio to aim for.

Still, in the end, you should only be spending closer to $1000 for a system that games at 1920 X 1080. Anything more is just a waste. save the $500 for later, get a common card that you can match later, and then add your second card a year or so from now to future proof. A single mid - high end card should be all you need in the mean time. It will also avoid micro stuttering.

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I don't really have max budget, but i don't want anything overkill, just trying to spend on parts with features i will be using.

Parts tend to be a bit more expensive here in Mexico, that's why the 1.5k range, its not exactly right.

Also i thought the 2500k can handle anything, specially when overclocked, and anything above the GTX 560 Ti here is too expensive, making it hard to SLI later.

ARchamps

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011

I don't quite understand this statement either. Other than the i7 2600K (no huge differences), that is the top of the line Intel processor. That processor can be easily overclocked to 4.5 Ghz with no effort. (I did it on mine with one click of a button - turbo mode).

Everything else looks fine to me. The 560 Ti is a nice card. I have the EVGA version.

xferzer

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
Anyone that can input about the boards i listed?
i'm just leaning more against the P67 ASRock, but not fully sure.

AS Rock is a spinoff of Asus and has gotten a good reputation as a solid, middle-market builder with a top-flight reputation for build quality.

I've used their boards in 3 of my last 5 builds with no issues.

ares640

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2011

+1 for MSI Z68 GD55. It has everything the Asrock extreme 4 has, but $40 less.

GPU: GTX 560ti or 570, MSI Twin Frozr III editions.