GTX 460 vs 550 Ti

navanit

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Hi guyz,

I was using xfx 9600 gt before and it finally died , but before its death provided me with 45 - 50 fps on medium setting on both DIRT 3 and Shift 2 (I mostly play racing games)
and the screen resolution was 1600 x 900.

So now I wanna buy a new gfx card but nothing in mid range can but out as many fps as my 9600 gt and these dx 11 stuff is all to confusing for me .

I am here in INDIA and the GFX prices are higher than what one would expect after converting the prices from newegg (US $) to INR (Rs.)So I ll give you comparative prices between the cards in (*US $) .

GTX 460 MSI is 30 $ expencive than 550 Ti

and 6850 is around the same price as 460 gtx .

Which one should I go for?

I had my heart set on 460 gtx but we dont ahve many choices for that as evga is not available.

We only have MSI (I hope atleast that ) and some palit brands.

Help me choose guyz thanks.

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

Correct except for one part some brands do actually perform better that others.

My friend and I both bought a GTS250, but the only difference was that his was a MSI and mine was Palit. His MSI out performed my Palit by far. Some games the palit would even lag where the MS did not lag. After then I never bought a cheaper make of a Graphics Card again. It means you get what you pay for.

The 6850 will be a good bet. It really does perform good. The GTX 460 does as well even though it is from last year.

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011

@ wener: Yes we did and my PC performed even better that his when he had the MSI in. He had an AMD 2.2GHz DC AM2 socket and I have a Phenom II 550 BE @ 3.6 Ghz. And both cards were reference type cards. Clocks and memory amount and speed were the same. We both had the latest driver at the time from Nvidia's site.

I think choosing between ATI or Nvidia comes down to how it suits you unless you are a fanboy :lol: . I have had both ATi and Nvidia in the past and I had both brands die on me and driver issues on both. Currently I am going for ATi because my MB only supports Crossfire, but when I upgrade and the MB only supports SLi then I will go for Nvidia.

It all comes down to what suits you best at the time and of course the price to performance ratio.

navanit

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
Thanks for the quick replies guyz ,

the 6850 seems to be a grt option ,
some people said the could not play mafia 2.

is it because of the physx thing coz i relly dont give a *@# about it .
will these games run fine if i turn physx off in the games on a 6850 ?

navanit

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

How about a "point of view gtx 460 card" ?
I heard some where that they are used for testing .
Dont know what that means really.

but they are quite cheaper and need to fit in a wifi router aswell .

Rizlla

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Yes the Point of View GTX 460 is a great card and the prices are good. I got the 768MB version for a friend and he plays all the new games at full details @ 1920 x 1080. It is a good card, but just make sure it is the best card you can get in your region and also make sure of the warranty. I think Point of View only offers a 1 year warranty.

TRENDING THREADS