Sign in with
Your question

Proofing and ideas on my first Custom PC

Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2011 6:21:14 PM

Hey Tom's Hardwares users,

This will be my first time making a computer, but I been lurking and researching/learning about Custom PC making. So after a month of researching, I think I finally set on a build for battlefield 3. ANYWAY, let move on to the template supplied.

Approximate Purchase Date: (e.g.: this week (the closer the better))

Budget Range: (1000-1500/1000-1500) Before / After Rebates Max should hopefully be 1500 dollars.

System Usage from Most to Least Important: (Gaming,Productively, and daily things ie Internet browsing )

Parts Not Required: (OS, Mouse, keyboard)

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: (newegg.com)

Country of Origin: (US)

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (Very open minded about this.)

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: (1920 x 1080)

Additional Comments: (This is my first sets, I was hoping for proofing and ideas for cheaper with the same level or better than the component I have now)

Now, let over the pieces I selected.

Case: Antec Nine Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case

Out of all the computer compoent, I found that the case was the hardest one to pick. I was juggling between Rosewill BLACKHAWK Gaming ATX Mid Tower Computer Case, RAIDMAX SMILODON ATX-612WB, and the current one I got.

To be honest, I really like the Rosewill Blackhaw, so I was hoping for more inputs on which of the 3 cases is suited.

MotherBoard: ASUS P8Z68-V PRO LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

For the Mobo, I had 2 Mobo in mind to get, this one and the more expeive one: ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard with UEFI BIOS.

For the Mobo, I felt that z68 would be a better choice in the long run, but I really wouldn't know, hahaha.

CPU:Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor BX80623I52500K

For CPU, I really didn't think I will need anything more powerful than an i5 and I saw that this i5 is very popular.

VGA EVGA SuperClocked 01G-P3-1563-AR GeForce GTX 560 Ti (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support

I plan on getting another VGA sooner or later, but for now, I'ma get one 560 ti.

PSUCORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified

Man, PSU is like the 2nd hardest thing to pick, I'm really clueless on area. I got quit a few on mind such as RAIDMAX RX-850AE 850W ATX12V v2.3 / EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular Active PFC Power.
Feel free to point me to a better PSU if there is one.

RAM G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9S-4GBRL

Same thing with ram, there so many choices. I didn't know if I should get the 2x 4gb or get 2 4 gb ram instead like the one I have now.

SSD: Mushkin Enhanced Callisto Deluxe MKNSSDCL40GB-DX 2.5" 40GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)

Uh, this would be my first time hearing about SSD, and I heard it was ideal for OS/Programs as well for games, so I managed to squeeze one in within my budget. If you know a better one for cheaper and around the same size or bigger, feel free to tell me about it.

HDD: HITACHI Deskstar 7K1000.D HDS721010DLE630 (0F13180) 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Cheap and look fair to me. If you know a better one, feel free to throw in your inputs.

DVD Drive: TEAC Black IDE/ATAPI DVD-ROM Drive Model DV516E/B/S

Uh, I needed a decent DVD drive, so I figured this will do.

Monitor: Asus VH238H Black 23" Full HD HDMI LED Backlight LCD Monitor w/Speakers

I really like this type of Monitor. I guess this is me being lazy and picking what I like. I did get 2 of these.

The main products I selects grand total will be about $1,519.89 with no taxes or shipping.

Well, I think that it.

More about : proofing ideas custom

October 11, 2011 7:12:04 PM

Motherboard: You do not need a $200 motherboard, and an ugly one at that. I would recommend Asrock or MSI Z68 in the $150 range, such as Extreme 3 Gen 3 or GD 55 respectively.

GPU: I would recommend a dual fan GPU such as MSI Twin Frozr III. Much better temps and overclocking.

RAM: Get 2x 4GB of ram to run in dual channel. Make sure it is 1.5 volts and not 1.65

SSD: Crucial M4 is likely the most recommended SSD. Get 64gb or 128gb depending on your needs.

Everything else looks good. Cases are entirely up to your own preference; I prefer full tower ATX such as HAF 932. Very good PSU selected, highly recommend Corsair HX.
October 13, 2011 11:28:49 PM

Could you explain more on why Asus have a "ugly board"?

Also, I changed the ram accordingly.

As for the SSD, I think a 64 GB would suit me perfectly.

I think I will go with Rosewill case.

I also would like more information on the mobo tho. What make asrock or MSI better than being cheaper?

Also, that VGA is quite costly. Does having 2 fans improve the overall ability? Is the overclock ability worth the price?

Thank for the input, Ares.

Sorry about the late reply.
!