Sign in with
Your question

Can you upgrades the graphics on an ibook?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 11:35:37 AM

Because as I've seen the ATI Radeon 9550 graphics card is not very good.
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 5:15:45 PM

lol macs

With that said, no, you cannot upgrade it. You can't upgrade any mac notebook/laptop's graphics card (not to mention pretty much any laptop's graphics card).
m
l
a c 359 U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 5:41:19 PM

Apple laptops cannot have their video card upgrades. They have never manufactured a laptop that allowed you to upgrade the video card and chances are they never will.

On the PC side, I would say at least 98% of current PC laptops do not allow you to upgrade the video card. Those very, very few that do will easy cost over $1,500+ and they must be gaming laptops. For example, Falcon North West does have one or two models that allows you to upgrade the video card, but they cost nearly the same as a down payment on a car.
m
l
Related resources
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2011 12:07:08 PM

borisof007 said:
lol macs

With that said, no, you cannot upgrade it. You can't upgrade any mac notebook/laptop's graphics card (not to mention pretty much any laptop's graphics card).

oK thanks
m
l
Anonymous
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2011 12:09:02 PM

jaguarskx said:
Apple laptops cannot have their video card upgrades. They have never manufactured a laptop that allowed you to upgrade the video card and chances are they never will.

On the PC side, I would say at least 98% of current PC laptops do not allow you to upgrade the video card. Those very, very few that do will easy cost over $1,500+ and they must be gaming laptops. For example, Falcon North West does have one or two models that allows you to upgrade the video card, but they cost nearly the same as a down payment on a car.

THanks , But can you get software that can make it better because a friend told me I could.
m
l
a c 359 U Graphics card
August 14, 2011 8:28:15 PM

Generally the only software that can improve performance are updated video card drivers. But any performance increases are going to be small especially if the drivers are already mature; meaning there have already been several previous driver releases for your particular video card.

Your only real option is to low graphic settings and the resolution.
m
l
August 14, 2011 10:07:15 PM

Any laptop that has mxm 3.0 with a card that isn't soldered to the motherboard have the possibility to be upgraded but you have to go to unconventional means to get a card and they are expensive. A 6970m right now is going for about $420usd. Its usually better to just sell the laptop and move on. The main problem with upgrading a laptops gpu is the thermal limitations your laptop has and bios support for cards not supported by said laptop. If you buy an apple product expect very limited upgrade opportunities.
m
l
!