Desktop Backgrounds (wallpaper)

I know that XP uses MY PICTURES as one of the folders to obtain pictures from, but when I go to select a wallpaper, none of my files (JPG) in MY PICTURES folder are there in the list. I have copied most of my digital photos to another folder so I dont get 100's of pictures on the background list, but a few I have left so I can use them as wallpaper. What am I doing wrong, Thanks.
2 answers Last reply
More about desktop backgrounds wallpaper

    Hi Barbara,

    Keep in mind that there is a limit to the listings shown. Other than that:
    The pictures that show up under display properties, desktop are located in
    these folders:

    C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Pictures
    C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

    Workaround:

    Create another folder (under your user profile), remove the pictures from My
    Pictures that you don't want listed under Backgrounds and in the My Pictures
    folder, create a shortcut to the new folder. Or create subfolders within My
    Pictures.

    Troubleshooting JPG Issues
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_jk.htm#jpg

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I know that XP uses MY PICTURES as one of the folders to obtain pictures
    >from, but when I go to select a wallpaper, none of my files (JPG) in MY
    >PICTURES folder are there in the list. I have copied most of my digital
    >photos to another folder so I dont get 100's of pictures on the background
    >list, but a few I have left so I can use them as wallpaper. What am I doing
    >wrong, Thanks.

    Hi Barbara,
    How many picture files are there in My Pictures folder? Try reducing it to 50 files or even less (more the remaining ones to a different folder). If that does not help, let us know if you've redirected the My Pictures folder to a different partition/folder?

    --
    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User

    Windows 2000 Group Policy Registry Table:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/en-us/gp/gpref.asp

    "Barbara" <Barbara@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F0260BA9-3275-4317-B143-5E556C6244A0@microsoft.com...
    I know that XP uses MY PICTURES as one of the folders to obtain pictures from, but when I go to select a wallpaper, none of my files (JPG) in MY PICTURES folder are there in the list. I have copied most of my digital photos to another folder so I dont get 100's of pictures on the background list, but a few I have left so I can use them as wallpaper. What am I doing wrong, Thanks.

Configuration Windows XP Desktops Wallpaper Customization Microsoft