ATX PSU vs Intel SSI PSU ?

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
All...I have just built a system using an Aopen dx52 (Fortress 7700)

The board states it requires an Intel SSI ATX power supply (these come with an additional flat 6 pin for SCSI)

I have a new Corsair CX500 v2 standard ATX so I tried this, but no joy. When I connect it, the board standby light comes on (as does the Crucial ballistix RAM) but pressing the power does not turn the power supply / computer on. I have connected a power switch directly to the mobo (to ensure it was not a faulty case switch) and still no joy. All jumper setting are correct.

Point to note - this is a dual tualatin motherboard. There are no 12v processor requirements (so that PSU is not connected) as it relies on the 5v rail.

Any help appreciated

Personally, I would get rid of the board. Even if you find the power supply you need on ebay, you may be throwing good money after an old part. I've seen old boards fail unexpectly just by powering them up. Unless you can find the ps dirt cheap somewhere, I would not pursue it any further.

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
I sourced this board specifically, as I wanted an old build.

Specifically wanted a dual tualatin with AGP and DDR. I do not mind putting money in to it, if it fails then so be it. If it works then I have a nice 'top spec' old box to run XP on and do my coding.

lmartinefc

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2010
So will this specifically require an SSI power supply. What is the difference between a modern ATX?

I know modern ATX have a 12v CPU cable, and the SSI have a straight 6 SCSI cable

?