System hangs on soft start. Cold boot works fine

WyoBuckaroo

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Whenever I do a warm boot from Windows, like after a driver update, computer will hang at the motherboard splash screen during POST. No information beeps and will not respond to any keystrokes. When I try and restart with CTL/ALT/DEL it hangs at the same place. If I completely power down the computer and then start it up, everything loads and works fine. This is true if I turn off the computer from Windows too. If it'

WyoBuckaroo

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Not sure what happened to original post...here it is again:
Whenever I do a warm boot from Windows, like after a driver update, computer will hang at the motherboard splash screen during POST. No information beeps and will not respond to any keystrokes. When I try and restart with CTL/ALT/DEL it hangs at the same place. If I completely power down the computer and then start it up, everything loads and works fine. This is true if I turn off the computer from Windows too. If it's powered all the way down it starts up fine. Does anyone have any ideas as to why it would work on a hard boot but not a soft boot? Been looking for days and still haven't found an answer.

System specs:
Supermicro C2SBX MB
Intel Core2 Duo processor
Windows 7 64 bit
4 GB RAM
4 HHD RAID 0 (stripe)

I can live with it if I have to but I know there's a solution. Help!

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Judging from your specs I believe you've had this computer for a few years. Has this problem always occured or is it a recent issue? I'm leaning toward a software issue which I'm not very good with since you can cold boot just fine. Have you tried playing with your drivers, updating bios, checking for viruses?

Also, try going into safe mode and see if you can soft reboot without a problem. That will at least see if it's a window's issue or not.

WyoBuckaroo

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Thanks for some feedback Crewton. I tried your suggestion of starting in Safe Mode and then rebooting but got the same lock-up at the motherboard splash screen.

Originally, this computer was a server at my office that was replaced for a faster one. While it is about 3 years old, it is a lot faster than my 5 year old computer at home so I did a fresh install of Windows XP. When I realized I couldn't legally transfer my OEM Windows XP to another computer I bought Windows 7 and installed that. The install went flawlessly, but now that I think about it, I didn't have the rebooting problem when I had Windows XP installed. With the XP install, I had to manually install the Intel ICH9R SATA RAID Controller driver. For the Windows 7, I didn't. Wonder if it could it be a RAID driver issue?

I have considered flashing the BIOS but haven't done so yet. I'll give that a try and post the result here.

crewton

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Your problem would be a lot easier if you couldn't cold boot :p I keep thinking of a possible solution but that would only be the case if you couldn't post >.< You might want to check your reset switch to make sure it's on the motherboard correctly but I can't think of why you'd be able to post, go into windows, and then not be able to restart. If you can't do it in safe mode that would narrow it down to possibly the raid driver. Your bios setting for your raid have to be right or you'd not be able to get into windows in the first place. Do you have the latest raid driver? Worse case you could go back to XP >.<

WyoBuckaroo

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2011
Sorry for the long delay but I was hesitant to do the BIOS flash update and finally got up the nerve to try today. Good news is that it has appeared to have fixed the warmboot lockup problem. :bounce:

Bad news is that it was not a seamless process to get there. After the BIOS update, upon reboot I got an [ERROR 0251: System CMOS checksum bad-Default configuration used] messgage and then a [No Operating system] message. It took a lot of trial and error but in the BIOS setup I changed the Serial ATA RAID setting from the default of DISABLED to ENABLED and that seems to have done the trick (fingers crossed).

Thanks crewton for your suggestions and support and I hope this might help anyone else with a similar problem!!
:hello:

sclearo

Honorable
Aug 26, 2012

I had the same problem after installing a new mother board, hard reset perfect, soft reset the screen went black no input but there was still power to the computer. Tried tweaks in the bios and reinstalled the OS still no soft reset. I ruled out a software issue simply because of the clean install of Windows 7 64bit twice both time everything else worked fine so I thought perhaps it was a hardware issue, it was. Tried a different keyboard and mouse and that resolved the problem it was actually the keyboard that was the problem the usb mouse was fine. Hope this helps.

supershrek99

Honorable
Dec 31, 2013

Sorry to bump this old thread but I've just signed up to say thank you for this bit of advice. I was having the same problem and tried a number of tests and swaps to find the problem. Completely overlooked the keyboard (and mouse) being a problem. Unplugged my keyboard and it now restarts without hanging on POST. It's now plugged back in and it still restarts without issue. Very odd but glad it's all fixed now.