960T unlock heat

overheat

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Hi, i recently upgraded my system and now i have a Phenom II 960t, i attempted unlocking it and it unlocked fine and booted into windows without having to up the voltage or anything, but when i started to stress test it with prime95 my CPU socket temp sensor started rising to 70c, (the socket temperature pre-unlock was stably 10c higher than core temp).

So, i have the stock cooler and stock thermal paste, would upgrading my CPU cooler work, or would a cheaper diy solution such as CPU duct from the side fan hole work?

Also another question concerning cpu ducts, is it okay to do this.

I
I
I
I
I

With the X being a fan, C being the CPU and the = being the duct, is it okay that theres a fan on the heatsink and on the end of the duct or does it mess up airflow inside the duct or other?

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
You're using a Stock cooler and your overclocking?

Dear god no young one, just no ;)

Upgrade your cooler ^.^

Let me know of a price range that you can deal with and ill have a good luck for you ;)
The best suggestion would be a noctua fan, brilliant fans IF your wanting to use a fan.

If not then go with watercooling :D

overheat

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
Cheaper the better, as im not going to even try to get really high clocks, would a Arctic cooling freezer 7 pro rev 2 be good? Also im going to make the purchase several months later only.

noahscorp

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2011
If you can try and go a little higher, get a cooler with a 120mm fan on it. Pritty much every cooler with a 120mm fan on will do which cost minimum around: £20/$30USD.
Hope this helps :)