New PC build - infinite reboot loop. Incompatible RAM?

Jared80ka

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
I'm in the process of building an office PC for my in-laws. This should have been a piece of cake, but of course when building a PC for others Moore's law applies...

Here is the parts list:

Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - OEM
CORSAIR Builder Series CX430 430W ATX12V v2.3 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC Power Supply
ASRock B75M-DGS LGA 1155 Intel B75 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard
Rosewill REDBONE Black SECC Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case
Intel Core i3-3225 Ivy Bridge 3.3GHz LGA 1155 55W Dual-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 4000 BX80637I33225
LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM
Western Digital WD Blue WD5000AAKX 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
Patriot Viper 3 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model PV38G160C9K

So I put everything together last week, fired it up, and the PC was stuck in an infinite reboot loop. It would boot up, all lights/fans would go on, then it would shut down, then start up again a second later. Rinse and repeat. It never got to POST, beeped, or displayed anything onscreen.

After doing some troubleshooting, it seemed like a motherboard issue, so I RMA'd it. The new one arrived today and after installing it, the same issue occurred.

I can safely rule out the Mobo as being the culprit. Here is the next set of steps I performed:

1. Disconnect everything except mobo, cpu, psu, and ram.
2. Turned on - reboot loop.
3. Tried every combination of RAM placement with both sticks, then with one stick at a time. Reboot loop every time.
4. Tried it with no RAM installed - NO reboot loop! Followed by mobo beeping because no RAM was present, but still, no reboot loop.
5. Took a stick of RAM from my PC and tried it. NO reboot loop! And got to BIOS. (My RAM = G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL)
6. At this point I assumed I (somehow) got two bad sticks of Patriot RAM. But, to be on the safe side...
7. Took both sticks of the "bad" Patriot RAM and put it in my PC. PC booted up without a problem and showed 8GB of RAM in the BIOS.
8. So the diagnosis at this point is that the new PC will boot up fine with my Gskill RAM, but not the Patriot RAM. Yet my PC will boot up fine with either.
9. I then went to Patriot's website and used the Memory Configurator and didn't see the ASrock mobo on the compatible list for this RAM.

The only conclusion I can come up with is that the RAM is incompatible with the MOBO? This seems very odd, as both the Gskill and the Patriot RAM are DDR3 1600 9-9-9-24.

Other than returning the Patriot RAM and ordering some Gskill, I'm at a loss. Does anyone have any suggestions? I really find it hard to believe this RAM/Mobo combo doesn't work.

Thanks in advance.

Jared80ka

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
So I was able to resolve this and wanted to record the solution in case others encounter the same issue.

Since I was able to get the PC into BIOS using my RAM, I ran the ASrock Inernet Flash utility to get the latest update. After the BIOS update, I reinstalled the Patriot RAM and - VOILA! - I was up and running. I have since installed Windows and everything seems to be running smoothly thus far.

Hope this helps others.

There is a lot of bios updates for ram compatibility out there. It is somewhat upsetting that you can purchase a brand new motherboard (to you) with a 1 yr old bios on them.