Sign in with
Your question

Good buy? X-Cube SS Gaming PC

Last response: in Systems
October 11, 2011 11:49:06 PM

Thinking about buying this as an early Christmas present to myself. Let me know if anyone see's problems or if anyone has had a bad experience with Maingear (I've only read positive reviews)

X-Cube Super Stock (XCUBE-SS)
$2,101
FREE - Just Cause 2
FREE - Dungeon Siege III with purchase of NVIDIA graphics
FREE - Batman Arkham City (NVIDIA GTX 560 or higher)
X-CUBE SFF Chassis - Black
Silverstone® FX121 Crossflow Fan
Gigabyte® Z68MX-UD2H Featuring USB 3.0, SATA 6G, Lucid Virtu
Intel® CoreT i5 2500K 3.3GHz/3.7GHz Turbo 6MB L3 Cache GT2
MAINGEAR Certified Intel® Retail Cooler
8GB Corsair® VengeanceT DDR3-1600 (2x4GB)
NVIDIA® GeForceT GTX 580 1.5GB GDDR5 w/ PhysX
1000 Watt Silverstone ST-1000G 80+ Gold Certified (overkill I know - want freedom to SLI in the future)
450GB Western Digital VelociRaptor SATA 6G 10,000rpm 32MB Cache
8X Lite-On Blu-ray Reader and DVD Lightscribe Combo
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I know it is ALOT cheaper to build one, but I have neither the time nor the expertise. Would likely just frustrate myself to tears.
This will sit by my LCD TV (that's why the compact X-Cube design) and play at 1920x1080.
Arkham City and Bioshock Infinite are what I have planned for the winter.
I'm not pro Nvidia or AMD; had a 9800gt, then a Mobility HD 5870, now is it Nvidia's turn again.
I would greatly appreciate any expert advice. Thanks!

More about : good buy cube gaming

October 12, 2011 2:53:59 AM

Geesh! Abit pricey for what you getting but a very nice pre-build, guess the games add the added value...
Note : Many PC stores will build any config for free or for a small fee. So keep in mind.
What brand is the Graphics card? Thats pretty important.

Lite-On DVD-writers have a tendency to make noise and break. But Writers are so cheap I guess it does not matter.
October 12, 2011 8:28:07 AM

Novuake said:
Geesh! Abit pricey for what you getting but a very nice pre-build, guess the games add the added value...
Note : Many PC stores will build any config for free or for a small fee. So keep in mind.
What brand is the Graphics card? Thats pretty important.

Lite-On DVD-writers have a tendency to make noise and break. But Writers are so cheap I guess it does not matter.

Thanks for the reply!

I don't know what kind of GTX 580 it would be, before I would order this I would make sure Maingear told me and I would see what kind of flexibility they offered with choosing a card. Future plans would be to either SLI one day, or upgrade to a GTX 590 or 680 or 690. I realize that is going beyond my resolution needs but maybe by then I will have gotten a nice monitor or something.

Also, I know the price is a bit steep, a 2k home build would have 2x580's at a minimum.

A PC Store? Sounds like something I should research. They could replicate a build like this? Can anyone recommend a good one in the DC area? Could they warranty like Maingear could? With something like this, piece-of-mind is probably worth $300 alone.

Thanks & Cheers!
October 12, 2011 2:03:10 PM

They could easily replicate or custimize on that build. I wouldn't be able to recommend a store as I am in South Africa. lol
!