Power Supply for up to 3 GTX 570's in a Crossfire

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello All,

So I am eventually planning on attempting an SLI Crossfire setup with 2 GTX 570's and I was given the link http://sli.nvidia.com/object/slizone_build_psu.html to look at possible Power Supplies that would properly power that setup.

My question is does anyone have an opinion on which one would be a good PSU for this setup without a ridiculous price? Here is the build i'm looking at

Motherboard:
GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 Intel Z68

CPU:
Intel Core i5 2500 Quad Core

After-market Cooler:
Hyper 212+

Ram:
Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB (2x4GB)

Video Card
EVGA GTX 570 x3

Hard Drive
Crucial m4 2.5" 64GB Solid State Drive
Western Digital Caviar Blue 750GB

Optical Drive
Lite-On Internal 24x CD/DVD Drive

Case
Thermaltake Armor A90 Black ATX Case

Thanks,

AQuebman

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
You are buying three 570's but you want a budget psu?

o_O

Go ahead and pick out a gold or platinum psu, and then go read a bunch of reviews on it, or browse the Jonnyguru site for good reviews in the 1100+ range. Use one of the psu calculators with your cpu, motherboard, and other components to make sure that you are getting enough power without over doing it, but also allowing for a little head room.

You can use this site to help you find reviews:

http://www.realhardtechx.com/index_archivos/Page2917.htm

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Well i'm not going to start buying 2 of them I just want the ability to go with a Crossfire setup in the future. I'm trying to find a nice happy balance between cost and effectiveness of my PC. Basically I want the core pieces like the MoBo, CPU, & PSU to be a little bit better so that i'm not changing out equipment in 6 months.

totalknowledge

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2011
I can't blame you for the slow upgrade route. I am doing that atm myself.

What kid of budget for a psu are you looking for. It can make a great difference on what we recommend. "Budget" could mean under 200 or it could mean as close to 100 as possible. Sub 100 isn't really possible until you get down into the 750 ~ 800 watt range, and then you are looking at 80+ and 80+ bronze psu's.

Ok first of all you cant Crossfire Nvidia cards, only AMD/ATI cards.

Secondly, yes, your board only supports TWO cards.

Get yourself a good quality 80+ Bronze (or better) 850w psu and your good to go.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817207011

This is by far the best deal going now. 70a rail. 5yr warranty. Built by Seasonic.

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Well i'm looking at something like this Corsair Builder Series CX600(600W) in the temporary to power the single GTX 570.

Honestly money saving is important but I want an overall PC that will be efficient and not fall apart so i'd rather take a little more time and build something that is going to last me. I basically have a list of wants and then a list of must haves to leave myself with an upgrading route.

You just completely contradicted yourself.

Two posts ago you said:

Basically I want the core pieces like the MoBo, CPU, & PSU to be a little bit better so that i'm not changing out equipment in 6 months.

So I suggested a psu that would run the card plus a new card later on.

Now you say:

Well i'm looking at something like this Corsair Builder Series CX600(600W) in the temporary to power the single GTX 570.

Honestly money saving is important but I want an overall PC that will be efficient and not fall apart so i'd rather take a little more time and build something that is going to last me. I basically have a list of wants and then a list of must haves to leave myself with an upgrading route.

Makes no sense whatsoever.

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
As you can tell i'm kind of bouncing back and forth in what I want to do so my apologies for that. I want something nice but I also don't want to have to save for 6 months before I can build a computer so i'm looking at areas I can compromise.

^Crossfire is ATI version of Nvidia's SLI,
you still have multiple cards working together, its just a branding difference
and on a personal note, never compromise on an intended high spec rig,
not even on the 'basics',
if you can't afford top end, don't shop top end is my advice, sorry to sound harsh but thats the truth
Moto

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Well I do agree moto but the Corsair was the original power supply for the build. I really didn't look into bigger power supplies until I started thinking about doing an SLI setup. For now I think i'm thinking too big for what I really need but I do appreciate the advice as I learned a bit more then I did before.