Is this graphics card worth the extra $10?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CrazyTurkishBoy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Right now I have selected an XFX Radeon 5670 1 GB GDDR5, link: http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-DisplayPort-PCI-Express-HD567XZNF3/dp/B0034JLTNG

It's $80.

I saw another one with 512 MB, for $70, $60 with a rebate which I will do for sure. Link: http://www.amazon.com/Sapphire-Radeon-PCI-Express-Graphics-100287VGAL/dp/B0033WSDNI/ref=dp_cp_ob_e_title_1

My question is, I am not looking to play many very graphics intensive games, what I will mainly play is Minecraft. I rarely ever play FPSes on a computer, since I play on my PS3, so I am not looking to play something like Crysis 2 on ultra high settings with 8x AA and AF or something. I am casual on computer, so do you think the Sapphire would fulfill my needs? I am on a tight budget, and I am only looking to build a medium-end gaming computer so yeah.

Thanks

Solution
The 1GB version of the 5670 is not going to give better performance than the 512MB version. Even in intense gaming situations it will only get you an extra 2 or 3 FPS at most with the extra 512MB of RAM. The only reason to bother with the 1GB version would be if you planned on running multiple monitors, and even then, with casual use you probably wouldn't need the extra Video RAM. You're better off saving the ten bucks and getting the Sapphire card.
The 1GB version of the 5670 is not going to give better performance than the 512MB version. Even in intense gaming situations it will only get you an extra 2 or 3 FPS at most with the extra 512MB of RAM. The only reason to bother with the 1GB version would be if you planned on running multiple monitors, and even then, with casual use you probably wouldn't need the extra Video RAM. You're better off saving the ten bucks and getting the Sapphire card.

Solution

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
you can save your money if you really don't want to play any high end games,,, and honestly i am sure you will max the card before you max the memory,, I have a 460GTX 786MB and don't have any issues,,
and you're gonna save 20 after rebate

Ok, wouldn't pay 20 bucks extra, but 10 is like nothing.

monkeysweat

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
ya, just when you add all the components to a pc, 5 here 10 there can add up,, sometimes i almost cry when i see i spent almost a 800 on my amd pc, then i look it over and go, well I do have 6TB of storage and a SSD and a 460GTX.... so that's not so bad, but if i changed a few things here and there i'd easily be 50% higher.

justjohn5

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2011
If I was in your spot i would just stick with the 1gb version. it really does not make any difference.
Then again you can save those 10 dollars for something else.
Imo, you should just get an extra 50 dollars and get a better card. Just my opinion.

CrazyTurkishBoy

Distinguished
Aug 8, 2011
Thanks guys I've decided to go with the 512mb, I watched gameplay on youtube between the two, and while the 1 GB is a bit better, that really won't make that much of a difference to me as I will be only casually gaming.

Status
Not open for further replies.