Tips using Thermal Compound and an After Market Cooler

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Hello All,

I am posting because I will be slowly building my own PC and I had a few questions about Thermal Compounds and aftermarket coolers. Here is the pertinent information about the build:

CPU:
Intel Core i5 2500 Quad Core

After-market Cooler:
Hyper 212+

One of the nice posters here on Tom's Hardware suggested the After-market cooler and mentioned I would need thermal compound on the CPU before installing the cooler. I have never put thermal compound on a PC so I basically wanted to get some tips and info from those more experienced.

1.) Should it be put on the CPU before it's installed on the MoBo?

2.) What is curing and do all thermal compounds have to be cured?

3.) Is there much of a difference between the thermal compounds mentioned on 4ryan6's link?

4.) Is there one that would be really nice for this setup that wouldn't cost an arm and a leg?

5.) What is the proper way to apply the compound?

Thanks,

AQuebman

Dogsnake

Distinguished
Here is a link, there are many more but this gives the general idea (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7rPqCvCt0g). Please note the amount of compound does not need to be very thick. In fact a thin layer is best. It should only just make the surface of the cpu disappear. Now to your questions:
1. Yes
2. Yes and no, they all will slightly improve their performance over a short time to maximum heat transfer. You may see a 1-3 degree improvement after curing.
3. Did not read the link. If you are not going to OC to the max a few degrees one way or the other may not matter.
4. Any of the Arctic Silver compounds will work well (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=100007788&IsNodeId=1&Description=thermal&name=Thermal%20Compound%20%2f%20Grease&Order=BESTMATCH).
5. Watch the video link.
Hope this helps. GL

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
There are tutorials to how to put on the compound. Your new aftermarket cooler should come with enough compound for at least one installation, it doesn't take much.

Install the cpu in the motherboard first, then put the compound on the cpu, then put on the cooler. Some people say to use a small blob of compound on the center of the cpu, about the size of a pea, then when you put on the cooler the pressure will spread out the compound. Turn on the computer and test the temperatures with coretemp or some similar program.

Different coolers attach different ways, you just have to be sure that the cooler is securely attached and touching the cpu completely. The coolers with clips and springs at each corner have the most chance of improper installation, IOW if one clip is not securely attached the cooler will be uneven on the cpu and part of the cpu will get too hot.

+1 to all the above posters

Great advise from all them. Heck since you are using the Intel® Core™ i5-2500 you won't be overclocking so you really can get away with using the stock cooler unless you are in a poorly vented area. The stock cooler will come with a per applied thermal component that will ensure that you don't need to worry about adding any extra TIM (Thermal Interface Material) unless you remove the cooler in the future.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

AQuebman

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2012
Well I appreciate the concern but I have had a PC given to me that was improperly cooled so I know the importance of air flow and cooling of some sort on the processor. I'm assuming the processor comes stock with some sort of heat sink usually? Never bought one new I was just assuming it probably did.

If you buy a retail pack processor then yes,
the 'stock' or standard issue heatsink is supplied, if you buy the P.I.B. there won't be, obviously if you are planning on an aftermarket cooler, it makes sense to not have to throw away the stock item, so you can buy them without
Moto

Hi Christian :)

Ok, I had to laugh reading that answer.... please tell me who invented the Phrase TIM.....It had to be someone who has never built a computer in his life.... or an advertising person ???

All the best Brett :)

markusaurileus

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010

I like "TIM." Sounds clean. Unlike grease- sounds greasy. Or paste- sounds like something you put on an adult dancer. lol just messing around