Sign in with
Your question

Corsair obsidian 800d

Last response: in Components
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 1:34:45 PM

anyone bought one of these recently in the uk?

was looking at getting one but none of the websites i looked at are saying whether the hot swap bays have the

sata 6gbs backplane or the usb 3.0 front io ports so was wondering if any uk retailers are selling it with these

already installed

i know i can buy these seperately but if i am going to splash out £210 on a case i want them already in there for

that money

also are extension cables needed for the 8 pin 12v cable and the 24 pin main power connector--if so do they

come with it?

any other usefull info from people who have one would be good--have read lots of reviews already but input

from real life users would be helpfull

More about : corsair obsidian 800d

a c 104 ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 1:48:13 PM

acc to their own site, 2x usb3.0 ports frontpanel included and 4x hotswap bays
Overclockers review shows they include the power and data lines for the hotswap bay, and you can clearly see the necessary plates in place, no sign of an extension for the 8pin Cpu or 20+4 pin though however
The need for an extension from your Psu will depend on your Psu to be honest, although a lot now come with long cables for larger cases,
you may find you don't need one,
is that any help at all?
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-obsidian-800d-case-...
Edit to include link :p 
Moto
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 2:04:46 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
acc to their own site, 2x usb3.0 ports frontpanel included and 4x hotswap bays
Overclockers review shows they include the power and data lines for the hotswap bay, and you can clearly see the necessary plates in place, no sign of an extension for the 8pin Cpu or 20+4 pin though however
The need for an extension from your Psu will depend on your Psu to be honest, although a lot now come with long cables for larger cases,
you may find you don't need one,
is that any help at all?
http://www.overclockers.com/corsair-obsidian-800d-case-...
Edit to include link :p 
Moto

looking at corsairs site

http://www.corsair.com/pc-cases/obsidian-series-pc-case...

it does say usb 3.0 and sata 6gbs

but the uk sellers i am looking at are either still selling the earlier ones with usb 2.0 and sata 3gbs hot swap

or if they are selling the revised version then their descriptions and images are out of date

thats why i am hoping some one on here in the uk may have bought one recently --to see if they got the

newer revision

have a corsair 750w whith decent cable length but reckon its a long way to the 8 pin socket if routing behind

the motherboard--the 24 pin may be ok--can always buy the 8 pin extension at the same time as the case if i

need to--nothing worse than a brand new case all ready to build only to find a cable wont reach and you have

to wait to get an extension :cry: 
Related resources
a c 104 ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 2:22:43 PM

Which UK sites have you scoped?
I can try and find a definite yes for you,
I know a couple of members have recently built with them, but I'm certain they are US guys :( 

scroll down the linked page to where they have the hardware in, and the 8pin is fed through the top, no mention of using an extension
(They normally would say if it was needed) and according to the gearlist they used a TX750, same as yours?

Anywhere near nottingham by the way?

Moto
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 2:37:51 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
Which UK sites have you scoped?
I can try and find a definite yes for you,
I know a couple of members have recently built with them, but I'm certain they are US guys :( 

scroll down the linked page to where they have the hardware in, and the 8pin is fed through the top, no mention of using an extension
(They normally would say if it was needed) and according to the gearlist they used a TX750, same as yours?

Anywhere near nottingham by the way?

Moto

aria.co.uk
ebuyer
dabs
scan
overclockers.co.uk

these are the sites i normally use--not all of them are selling it

heres the dabs one--still showing usb 2.0

http://www.dabs.com/products/corsair-800d---obsidian-ca...

yes its a tx750w so could be ok

lot further south than nottingham--on a clear day i can just see france from my balcony
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 3:12:22 PM

i have an 800D that was purchased a year or so ago...

you will need an extension card for the video card at a bare minimum.

also keep in mind that the multi plug cable included behind the plastic cover for the hot swap bays is a complete POS. the cable isnt the correct length (its a little to long) and is so stiff that puts pressure on the ports. individual wires would have been a much better idea.

other than that... great case. cable routing is great.
a c 104 ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 3:22:14 PM

what Psu did you use Ssddxx?
i would have though the TX's 600mm pcie lines were plenty in there,
I have loads of slack in my Dragon rider and i route the all over to hide them :p 
Moto
a b ) Power supply
January 11, 2012 3:22:18 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/product-reviews/B002JLAU58/ref=...
Specialtech, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CC800DW-Obsidian-Case/d...
one of the amazon reviews states usb3 F.panel :) 
One of my favourite sites hehe :) 
Scope it out and let me know how you fare mate,
Moto

seen specialtech popping up on ebay lately

only issue i have with amazon is some sellers post immediately some dont and some dont give tracking numbers

dealing directly with sites where i get guaranteed next day delivery is my preferred method

still waiting on all my i7-920 stuff selling on ebay to raise some cash so will keep investigating
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 9:54:17 AM

after a lot of looking and emails back from companies saying we cant definately say if you will get the usb 3.0

version of the 800d or not i have decided to go with the corsair obsidian 650d which is basically the same case shrunk

down a bit and minus the 4 hot swap bays--still has one hot swap bay on top so thats handy for quick data

recovery etc

and its definately usb 3 although only 1 port

saves quite a bit over the 800d as well so can treat myself to a corsair ax850 watt modular psu to go with it :D 
a c 104 ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 10:27:04 AM

Shoddy service there man, sorry
they can't say which version they are supplying? trading standards would be on my list for that kind of treatment......
glad you have decided on a case to replace the choice though, and the benefits of a modular psu to boot :) 
Moto
!