Windows 7 Geting Code 43 when I plug in my USB HDD

God_of_games

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
hi all ive just got a new laptop with Win 7 on it and ive bin trying to get my USB HDD to work with it but keep geting code 43 does any one know how to fix this? i think i need to download the drivers but can't find them any where for this HDD its a Freecom mobile drive 160GB model code PSJABA IT SAYS ON The back can any one help?

God_of_games

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
You shouldn't need drivers for a hdd, windows should install them automatically if it is able to communicate with the drive.

In device manager is there a yellow /!\ next to the device?

Could be anything from a bad cable to bad chipset drivers.

Try this:

First, please disconnect all USB devices and then perform the following steps:

1. Click "Start" button, type “devmgmt.msc” (without quotes) in the “Search” bar and press "Enter". Click “Continue” if necessary.

2. In Device Manager, double click to expand "Universal Serial Bus controllers", right click on the Host Controller, click "Uninstall" and click "OK".

3. Repeat the step 2 to uninstall all items under "Universal Serial Bus controllers".

Then, restart your computer and Windows 7 will reinstall all USB controllers automatically.

it dident seme to say Host Controller in there?

elmo2006

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Have you checked the BIOS settings for the USB type?

It may be listed under USB Configuration and ensure all settings are enabled and usb 2.0 controller is set to HiSpeed and Legacy USB Support is set to auto or enabled.

Sorry it seems that I may be grasping at straws here for you.

God_of_games

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

there not much in the bios i had a looklast nite but dident see any USB config i try a nover USB HDD on this laptop and it work and tryed all 3 of my USB pen drives and thay worked also i tryed the USB HDD that isent working on this laptop on my old laptop with vista on and it loded up fine i also uninstalled it and reconnected it and it still worked fine i rely don't know what else to try lol this is doing me head in lol. can any one thing of any reson for this?

djm1979

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2010
google windows 7 usb problems theres a command line work around with windows 7 to make it only see 3 gigs. i had the same problem on my desktop and just took out a stick when i did my weekly dust cleaning .

God_of_games

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

i google it but just found a few patchs but nun of them helped

God_of_games

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009

no you never get software with usb HDDs