Sign in with
Your question

Another Try

Last response: in Forum Feedback
October 15, 2009 4:54:37 PM

Another try

More about : question

October 17, 2009 2:16:29 AM

It was another try at trying to get my personal quote to show - which obviously then was unsuccessful but now it works.
Related resources
October 17, 2009 2:19:55 AM

Oh, you mean the sig. Coz your "personal quote" isn't showing.
October 17, 2009 3:23:09 AM

Yes I guess. I was not sure what it was called which is maybe why it took me several tries to find the right "buttons". Are the various options explained anywhere with instructions on how to change them? I looked around and did not find anything.
October 17, 2009 3:51:29 AM

Check the MyDiscussions.net site, it should explain the options there.
October 17, 2009 4:38:06 AM

Don't you think this website should have its own simple instructions?
October 17, 2009 4:40:12 AM

Why? It's MyDiscussions.Net software so it makes sense if the instructions are on the developer's website...
October 17, 2009 5:02:54 AM

Since you are using it on your site - don't you think you should provide YOUR viewers with instrutions on how to use YOUR site. Speaking of which, perhaps the instructions on using the site - the Read Me First stickee - should be linked to each forum, not just buried at the bottom under an innocuous forum titled "Structure" where you have to really seach to find it? Just a suggestion to make the forum more user friendly.
October 17, 2009 6:12:14 AM

How many forums provide instructions for using phpBB or vBulletin? It's just not something you do. As for the link to the Read Me First sticky, we can't do global announcements/stickies so it would have to be re-posted in every forum manually :( 

I wish we used vBulletin to be honest...
October 17, 2009 7:05:49 AM

First I went to ExtremeTech forum where in about 5 seconds I found the help button on the upper right that took me to a long, but organized list of questions and in another 5 seconds I had the information about signatures.

http://discuss.extremetech.com/forums/default.aspx

Then I went to Tweaktown, where in about two seconds I found the "FAQ" button near the top that also took me to a list and in another 2 seconds I had the same information.

http://forums.tweaktown.com/

Then I went to Anandtech where in a split second I found both "FAQ" and help buttons and quickly found the information about signatures under FAQ.

http://forums.anandtech.com/

3 for 3 - and all three had a lot of other helpful information about how to do various things.

Since a forum is about helping people - I think it should be user friendly. It seems the site managers are trying to do a lot of gimmicky things to increase participation - such as this point system and new titles - how about the old fashioned just make it easier to user and more user friendly. Customer service 101.
October 18, 2009 1:58:25 AM

I don't know about ExtremeTech, but the stuff on Tweaktown is just what comes with the software. Any vBulletin forum will have that. That's just what comes with the software. Anandtech appear to have something similar, although they have their own WIP FAQ there as well. If this software doesn't have it well what can you do?

Oh, and there is a help link at the bottom of the page next to the link to the Forum Rules which takes you to the help page on MyDiscussions.Net.
October 18, 2009 4:33:17 AM

randomizer said:
I don't know about ExtremeTech, but the stuff on Tweaktown is just what comes with the software. Any vBulletin forum will have that. That's just what comes with the software. Anandtech appear to have something similar, although they have their own WIP FAQ there as well. If this software doesn't have it well what can you do? :cry: 

Oh, and there is a help link at the bottom of the page next to the link to the Forum Rules which takes you to the help page on MyDiscussions.Net :lol:  .

:cry:  You can create it

:lol:  And where are the Form Rules? And how many do you think will find it way down there at the bottom?

Just compare THG to the other 3 and rate the ease of finding, completeness, and ease of undestanding on a scale of 1 to 5, with one being the best. This is one kind of benchmarking every site should be doing.
October 18, 2009 4:40:14 AM

I absolutely agree, the rules and stuff are well hidden. I have already made a comment in the mod section that we should have a TL;DR understandable version of the ToS in the forum itself rather than the legal jargon that is there on that often non-functional page. Obviously the "proper" ToS would override the simplified version in a tricky situation but for the most part a simple "do this, don't do this or else" post would be handy.
!