Hybrid CrossfireX

You would hybrid crossfire with the PCI-E versions of the card of course. PCI cards are too slow and there aren't any hybrid crossfire AGP chipsets so you can't hybrid crossfire with an AGP version.

Get the DDR3 version of the 4650 if you get a 4650. It's worth it to spend a little more on a 4670, 5570 or 5670. What's your budget?

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
the 5670 seems to be the best value. at that price range.
I will probably just use the built in video for now to keep costs down on this particular system.
I am actually just trying to build a really inexpensive system that still performs well.
I am helping my friends by building systems for them while I go to school for computers.

it would be nice to be able to do something in the low $200's but i know that's tough.

What are the rest of the components? Have you considered using one of the new Llano processors? They have built in graphics processors that are rather competent for gaming at low resolutions and they also allow for hybrid crossfire that is actually worth using if you get a low end HD6000 card later on.

EDIT: BTW, outside of what I just suggested above hybrid crossfire is basically useless and not something worth thinking about.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
I looked at those briefly but isn't the 3850 going to be their top model for the near future?
2.9 mhz is not very fast.

I don't know what kind of processing power is behind that 2.9 mhz.

the passmark site puts that processors power up there between.

1100t and 1090T
which would be very impressive considering its a 4 core cpu that is running slower then both of those cpu's with 6 cores.

but another site
http://pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/AMD-3850-Llano-Desktop-Processor-Review-Can-AMD-compete-Sandy-Bridge/Conclusi

puts it below the i3-2100 for processing power.

I tend to believe the second site since they ran more then just one test, and because its a 4 core to 4 core comparison.

I read another site that tried to overclock that cpu without much luck because it caused problems with SSD's

I am a big ssd fan so thats a problem for me.

anyway which models would crossfire with that cpu and what kind of performance could you expect with that kind of set up?

because it looks like the onboard video on that cpu can be had with a discrete card for around $50

something like
Radeon HD 4670 1GB 128-bit DDR2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681415052

or

XFX GT-240X-YAFA GeForce GT 240 512MB 128-bit DDR3 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814150553

thanks for the info.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
one other thing i noticed was that their is a wide range of memory speeds for most of the motherboards.

When I was asking about sandy bridge processors I was told that even if I doubled memory speeds on that processor it still won't make much difference at all.

Is that the same case for the 3850?
thanks

The Llano chips are basically Athlon II x4 processors with the added video processing power. I haven't read much about their overclocking ability or this SSD problem you mentioned. An HD6670 or HD6570 is what you would want to use with one for hybrid crossfire if you find the built-in graphics unacceptable. If I remember properly it would add roughly 25% extra performance to either of those cards.