On Board Graphics vs Cheapest Video Card

That is crap, build your self a amd rig that has integrated graphics as they are much more modern and provide a lot more performance than this 8400gs can provide. If you are just trying to use parts that are already on hand and is intel igp (gma) then this card will be better in the long run.

Mostly yes because Intel is so minimalistic about their designs that even their best gma only has 12 shaders and drivers for those who end up gaming on them find that things are not so great. As for the older versions they tend to run hot and slow. Hell even a puny discreet card can provide a small boost in i/o intensive apps that don't make much use of a gpu compared to the igp by freeing up ram and bandwidth needed to run it. IGP like the Intel gma are essentially parasitic in their design using the system ram for all of it's basic functions while a discreet card has it's own vram. The bandwidth needed to run a discreet card is much less in light tasks any way.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
thanks for quick reply
just to clarify.
Are you talking about any motherboard that supports and intel chip?
Or just motherboards made by intel.

also would the DDR5 card I mentioned above beat the graphics on an amd board?

masseybe84

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
If all you are wanting to do is watch Blueray (3D or 2D) and surf the web. Anything more than the I3-2100 or a Llano A-Series chip is overkill. The HD2000 or HD6530D
is more than enough to handle those kinds of light graphic workloads.

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Ok I understood about the overkill.

But now you have me curious about the graphics performance of newer I5 I7 motherboards.

can you point me in the right direction to understand more about the Intel graphics being handled by the CPU?

Is there any benchmarks that I can see for that type of system?

How would something like an I5-2500k with integrated graphics compare to a separate graphics card?

They are but the cpu behind them is weak compared to Intel. Thanks to Intel never releasing the full instruction set for any thing above sse3 and the weak floating point unit in amd cpus they lose badly in cpu intensive apps and the low clocks rates don't help. Intel gma HD on the i5 clocks very high compared to most gpus and it has decent fill rates but the shader is very very weak. Gaming with Intel graphics is very hit or miss depending on the game. Games that are more fill rate dependent will perform much better on Intel but any thing that is shader heavy is going to be a slide show at best. The amd apu series has very low cpu clocks low clocks on the gpu and is why they don't do so well in the benchmarks. Also there is always a question of settings and bias in the reviews.

"If I was trying to build an inexpensive PC for watching blu ray movies or surfing the web and things like that. " if that is all you want, then no need to worry, any moden onboard graphics with a decent cpu can handle things fine. If you want to play games you need to go spend at least $120 to get yourself a decent video card.

masseybe84

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010

Nforce4max is talking about LLano chips with the HD 6550 on die. The 1100t was using onboard graphics and is more comparable to the first gen of I-series chips not the new Sandybridge.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103942

since the thread asks onboard vs cheapest video card
I would pick the Gt 240 over any onboard graphics currently out there
the $50 investment would be worthwhile
make using the computer a better overall experience
it is overkill for browsing and movie watching
but it is better to have it and not need it
than need it and not have it

masseybe84

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
It depends on the application you are using. GDDR5 will always be faster than GDDR3 version of a card and as a general rule with the same stream processors the core clock will make it faster. That's all based on the same architectures so really more than just looking at numbers.

What's the point of this question. Why are you shopping for a video card? Are you wanting to play BR disc with the best Picture Quality? Do you want a dedicated video card for a low profile HTPC for some light 720p gameplay on your TV? Is this for a desktop gaming rig? If you are looking for help to build a rig go to this thread to use as a template and post in the systems subforum so you can receive the appropriate help.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advice

alohascott

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
Aloha
I looked at the link about best graphics cards for the money and decided to get the 5670.

I just want decent performance now and be able to sell it for a decent price if i decide to change it later.

something rated as a good value now I think will offer me that.

mkchampion14

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2010

^+1 I use the 5770 with my i7-930 (OC to 4GHz) and it's very effective even in 1080p Crysis