Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Loud PSU while playing on Ultra

Last response: in Components
January 11, 2012 4:25:10 PM

So, when I play games like Skyrim or Battlefield 3 on Ultra the computer suddenly becomes really loud. I'm guessing this is because of my PSU and my graphics card needing more power to run those games. When I was playing Battlefield 3 I got a notice saying at least one of my CPU's were being used at 100% or something like that. I don't mind the loud noise but I was just wondering if playing on Ultra will damage my graphics card or PSU from all that heat...I don't know anything about computers. Oh and I got my PSU new and recently got my graphics card for like new.

I have a...
Processor: AMD Phenom II x4 Processor 2.60ghz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 5970
PSU: Antec 750W High Current Gamer
Windows 7
HP Pavilon Elite e9220y

More about : loud psu playing ultra

a b ) Power supply
a b U Graphics card
January 11, 2012 4:29:15 PM

The only way to know is to use something like cpu-z to see your cpu temps while under load.

Things shouldn't be that loud. It's a sign that your pc needs a good cleaning.
Score

Best solution

January 11, 2012 4:31:55 PM

It really depends on what "loud noise" you're hearing. If (and i'm assuming this is the case) it's fan noise you're hearing, this is perfectly normal. As the PSU, GPU, and CPU work harder, they generate more heat and in turn the fans attached ratchet up to dissipate it. Stock fan solutions on most cards and processors tend to be a little more noisy than aftermarket. Now if the noise you're hearing is a harsh buzzing sound, or a high pitched whine, that's something to be concerned about.
Related resources
January 24, 2012 3:02:48 AM

Best answer selected by EffinNub.
Score
a b ) Power supply
a c 273 U Graphics card
January 24, 2012 10:55:04 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!