Intel E6550 with DDR3 mobo

Status
Not open for further replies.

photokev1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Noob question... but I am planning a new HTPC build, and I want to reuse my old E6550 cpu with a newer- GIGABYTE GA-G41MT-S2P LGA 775 Intel G41 Micro ATX DDR3 1333 mobo.

Can I use DDR3 with my cpu and this mobo, or shall I look to find a mobo that has DDR2 slots (and I can then reuse the ram too)

Or any ideas on a different board, I am getting a fanless GPU and XONAR sound card so I need a basic mobo that has at least 3 PCI express slots.

Thanks in advance.

PK

Solution
There are a couple boards out there that are using the G41 chipset that are using DDR 3 memory. This will work out just fine since the memory controller on these older boards are still on the board over the memory controller like we have now that is build into the processor. So go for it, it shouldnt be a problem at all.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
There are a couple boards out there that are using the G41 chipset that are using DDR 3 memory. This will work out just fine since the memory controller on these older boards are still on the board over the memory controller like we have now that is build into the processor. So go for it, it shouldnt be a problem at all.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team

Solution

photokev1

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2011
Thanks for the fast replys.
I can pull that DDR3 from my photoshop/large-format RIP beast, and upgrade to something faster. I was thinking of getting a couple of 8 gig sticks to replace my 4x4, that way I'll be ready when I upgrade in a year or so to a new cpu/mobo. I really need more ram.
- one thing, it seems the 8G sticks have slower timings.

Status
Not open for further replies.