Sign in with
Your question

Monitor screen tiling up

Last response: in Motherboards
November 7, 2012 2:58:41 PM

Hello,Hello, My Pavillion a6607c for most of this year my monitor screen would break up into tile images and i would have to reboot. Then i would work fine for a while and repeat. This doesn't happen in any particular program. I have 3gb of memory running Winvista home premium. I tried deselecting some startup but that hasn't solve it. So memory was my next option i swap the memory cards and found it didn't happen when the 2gb card was in. So i purchase another 2 gb card yesterday put it in and within an hour it happen on three occasions. This morning i took the new card out and am now running the old 2gb card and it hasn't occurred as yet. Actually the unit ran better with the old 2gb than when i had 4 gb in which would include the new one. The new card is a Kingston DDR2 800 different brand but same specs as the old card.

More about : monitor screen tiling

a b Ĉ ASUS
a b C Monitor
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
November 7, 2012 3:59:15 PM

That would at least hint at the possibility that you have a bad memory bank on your computer's motherboard.

What I would suggest as a means of testing, would be to download a copy of memtest86+ and then run it for at least 3-4 passes as your system is now. Assuming you get no errors, shut the computer down, and move the memory module to the next slot/bank and then run memtest86+ for another 3-4 passes. Do this until you run out of slots, and if you get a number of errors only when memory is in a specific slot on the board, then the board is bad.

If you find a bad memory bank/slot on the motherboard, then you can either replace the board (make a warranty claim if the warranty is still valid on the unit) or just choose not to use that specific slot.
m
l
November 13, 2012 11:35:25 PM

cl-scott said:
That would at least hint at the possibility that you have a bad memory bank on your computer's motherboard.

What I would suggest as a means of testing, would be to download a copy of memtest86+ and then run it for at least 3-4 passes as your system is now. Assuming you get no errors, shut the computer down, and move the memory module to the next slot/bank and then run memtest86+ for another 3-4 passes. Do this until you run out of slots, and if you get a number of errors only when memory is in a specific slot on the board, then the board is bad.

If you find a bad memory bank/slot on the motherboard, then you can either replace the board (make a warranty claim if the warranty is still valid on the unit) or just choose not to use that specific slot.

Thanks Scott i think you are correct about the memory bank. I discovered that after i purchase a new 2gb memory card which i had to switch to another bank for it to work properly. It not a bad buy i needed more memory anyhow. Thanks for the input.

Richard
m
l
Related resources
!