CPU running EXTREMELY HOT

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbrs94

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
I just installed a new mobo, CPU and ram, and at bios (with the fan running and heat sink on) my i5 2500k reads at 90 degrees C!!!!!!!!! Is this an error by the mobo? Because my CPU and fan are installed perfectly fine, but this temp seems just ridiculous!

Help would be greatly appreciated

Solution
60 C in Bios has been reported by many for the I5-2500k.
It seems that the CPU is running at normal speeds, but once your'e in Windows the CPU will down clock to 1.6 GHz and Idle temps will drop.

That said, I NEVER use the stock Intel HSF, and if you plan on OCing HIGHLY recommend a 3rd party HSF.

The Hyper 212 seems the most recommended (cost vs performance) and is OK for an OC upto about 4.6. Myself, I'm a firm believer in the COOLER the BETTER and opt for a higer end air HSF. Currently using the Zalman 9900Max. My Idle temps are 22->25C on the 4 cores and just under 60C with an OC of 4.2 NOTE: my room temp is a chilly 18C

xaira

Distinguished
are you 110% sure your cooler is connected to the board properly and pluged in correctly to he cpu fan header?

did you remove the protective surface from your heatsink?

have you done any overclocking>?

Download CPUID Hardware Monitor and see what it says your temps are. Also you can pull the side panel off and feel the heatsink. If it's really running at 90 degree's the heatsink will be pretty hot.

60 C in Bios has been reported by many for the I5-2500k.
It seems that the CPU is running at normal speeds, but once your'e in Windows the CPU will down clock to 1.6 GHz and Idle temps will drop.

That said, I NEVER use the stock Intel HSF, and if you plan on OCing HIGHLY recommend a 3rd party HSF.

The Hyper 212 seems the most recommended (cost vs performance) and is OK for an OC upto about 4.6. Myself, I'm a firm believer in the COOLER the BETTER and opt for a higer end air HSF. Currently using the Zalman 9900Max. My Idle temps are 22->25C on the 4 cores and just under 60C with an OC of 4.2 NOTE: my room temp is a chilly 18C

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS