Randomly Freeze

crazybouboul

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
Hello people :hello:

I got my PC for over a year now and never had this problem. 3 days ago it started and the randomly freeze for 2-10 sec and unfreeze,
I have no Idea how to troubleshoot the problem. :(

The freezes occur from anywhere between a few minutes to 1 hour interval.

PC spec:
MB:Asus M4A79 deluxe
CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 965@3.4*
GPU:2xATI Radeon HD 5700
SSD:RevoDrive X2 120GB
HDD:1xWD GreenPower 1TB**
1xSamsung HD204UI 2TB
PSU:Crosair HX-750W

*the CPU have been clocked to 3,7Ghz for over a year but desided to see if down clocking it would solve the problem but it didn't

**changed the 1TB HDD one time because I've hade a similar problem with my 1TB HDD, when I playd music (that was the only thing it hade on) it froze the musice and un froze, it was defect, but never froze the whole PC

could it be the SSD? it's only 6 month old or so.

I've done some research and came to the poor conclusion that it could be the RAM, MB, PS or the storage drive.

how can I troubleshoot on those and get to a final conclusion?

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
It's usually RAM or CPU usage that causes your system to "lock up". Are you using anything to monitor CPU usage? Does it hit near 100% when it locks up?

Also worth checking Task Manager for Processes running, and check Event Viewer logs as well to check for any potential errors.

crazybouboul

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
The freezing happens at any time, one time if froze and the usage was at 15% and when it un froze it was not at 100% if was like that never hapened for the cpu.

I've tried to update the graphic drivers, because I've noticed that when I usually start games and listen to music, then I can hear the PC freeze and when the game has started it unfreeze, so I though, why not try updating the drivers since I've been bothered with screen flickering on my displayport monitor anyways, it havent frozen since I updated (atleast not that I've noticed) and that was 12h ago... maybe it was just a bug in the AMD drivers :)

but thanks anyway

Let's hop it was just that.
For the record I don't recomand Catalyst driver 11.8, Iv'e been bothered with DP-mon flickering and freezing problems.

I'm going to monitor my PC now and hope I'll won't need to change any components.

AdrianPerry

Distinguished
If everything seems to be functioning as normal it could be down to HDD failure. If possible id recommend doing a full system backup and keeping it somewhere safe on an external drive - just in case anything does decide to fail.

Virus scanning is also a good idea. Microsoft Security Essentials is a great AV program if you have Genuine MS Windows.

As you have done with your AMD drivers, make sure all your other drivers are up to date, and make sure Windows is up to date also (latest patches ect).

Finally, what SSD are you using? Is the firmware up to date? There have been lots of issues reported with SSD's using the SANDFORCE controller - OCZ being one of the more popular culprits.