6950 Crossfire. Better gaming performance at stock clock?

zoonkim

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
Hi,

I've been using the Sapphire 6950 (Non Reference) 2GB in Crossfire for about a month. It's been overclocked at 840/1325.

Yesterday someone recommended that I go back to the Stock Clock since it provides a smoother gameplay (like for Crysis 2). Although benckmarkwise the overclock is giving me better scores(5% score increase).

It this true? That for Crossfire, Overclocking is not the better option?

additional 40 MHz won't affect that much there are a lot of cards out there factory overclocked!!

good point of view, but he won't get 100 FPS while playing Crysis 2 DX11 or Metro 2033 so in this case overclocking will help

zoonkim

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
It's really not about max fps. It's about consitent fps. I usually turn on the vsync in order to remove screen tearing due to high fps (like in BFBC2). For example, in Crysis 2, I would rather get consistent 40 fps rather than 30~60 during gameplay.
If the fps is going up and down, it feels like a slowdown during the 30 fps range.

On a whole, overclocking does provide more fps (for Crysis 2, dx11, high resolution, max options), however does it provide more consistent fps? I'm not sure.

zoonkim

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2011
I still haven't made up my mind. For single cards, if you OC and it is stable, there are almost no such issues (for consistancy). For Crossfire I'm not sure due to lack to experience with this setup. My options would be:

1. If there is no difference in terms of consistency between OC and no OC, I would definetly OC.
2. If crossfires in OC does affect consistency, I would use Stock Clock.
(I'm not really worried about power consumption and hardware life as I only plan
to OC these cards to 880/1375 later when needed. Enjoy OC'ing but not extreme)

overclocking always increase FPS in most GPU intensive games like Metro 2033 and Crysis 2 DX11 with the high texture pack, besides he won't even reach 60 FPS when playing @ 1920 × 1080 or 1200 whether with Crysis 2 or any Dx11 game check this;
http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/ASUS/Radeon_HD_6950_CrossFire/12.html
So basically overclocking would help whether with crossfire enabled or a single GPU
i'm not trying to influence this topic, just my own personal opinion and experience