Intel i7 920 2.6ghz and RAM question.

TeddyWilliams

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
I did a bit of searching before I posted and I didn't really find what I was looking for exactly.

Hello I have an i7 920 which apparently was being overclocked by certain RAM sticks I had in (Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C8D3K3/6GX)

Does anyone know if this RAM is incompatible with my CPU?
I sent it into Intel because it was not posting booting beeping nothing. (I won't get into what my problems were)

But anyway, I've had this computer for about a year now, and never OC'd until 4 months ago and it OC'd beautifully until it went out. Temps never reached over 65c on full load (at 3.5ghz OC'd)

It ran beautiful, fast and responsive. All of a sudden one day it went it out, during a Sony Vegas video rendering (HD 720p) video.
I contacted Intel and they required I gave them info on all my components... They then deemed, if you will, my RAM sticks were incompatible with the i7 they also said that the RAM were causing the i7 to be overclocked and stressed too high. Maybe it's because I was overclocking? From what I read and understood, i7 + asus p6tSE overclocked fine, and it did, until it went out.

My specs.
i7 920 2.6ghz
Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
MSi 6770 HD
Asus p6tSE
and I forget the PSU, but I'm pretty sure it's an OCZ 700w.

I honestly thought my motherboard went out, so I had that sent in and apparently it was broken, since they repaired a couple of components on it...
so I bought a new one in that meantime of the asus RMA, and it was a gigabyte w/e and it was doing the exact same thing. I even tried different HDD, Video card, RAM and PSU.

Now, I'm waiting on my new i7 to arrive in the mail, and before I do any testing I'd like to know if my RAM is indeed, compatible with the i7 920.

I know... a gigantic post, but I wanted to be thorough.

TL:DR, i7 920 compatible with Kingston HyperX 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model KHX1600C8D3K3/6GX or not?

farrengottu

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
well technically they are right, it was overclocking the memory controller on your cpu. but im running mine at the same with no problems after a year. i have a i7 950 btw.
intel makes their processors good enough to handle it, but the faster something runs the more likely it will die sooner, so they just rate it at 1333. performance wise there is very little difference. so they consider it a good trade off.

the ram is compatible its just faster than they want so they say its not.

the ram should work ok

set the bios to defaults--no overclocking

set ram to xmp as sometimes the bios sets it to 1333mhz at 1.5v instead of 1.65v at 1600mhz

see if it works ok

when overclocking you need to drop the ram multiplier as raising the bclk to overclock the cpu also overclocks the ram

ie if you set 20 x 180mhz bclk to get 3.6ghz you should set ram multiplier to x 8

this will actually underclock the ram to 1440mhz--just the way it works on x58 chipset

the ideal overclock is 20 x 200bclk for 4ghz and 200mhz bclk x 8 ram multiplier for 1600mhz ram

though this needs a good cooler and a bit of messing about in the bios

TeddyWilliams

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
Do you guys think that since my computer stopped working, my ram is shot as well? when the computer broke, it power surged about 6 times, on, off, on and off over and over again until I unplugged it. Do you think I should buy new and compatible ram sticks?