doa2 = disappointed; am i missing something?

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

after hearing the hype i thought doa2 would be a great game. instead
i'm left to wonder what i'm missing. other than the neat "knock your
opponent onto another level" and the anime fan service, i'm not really
finding the game that good. maybe the best part is with two player?
i'm just more happy with soul calibur, even without all the extra
outfits and less panty showing. mind you, i've only played doa2 for a
couple hours tonight, but i'm wondering if i wasted my $15. can
someone convince me otherwise and let me know that i'm not getting?
thanx.

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 00:10:45 -0400, Foxx (in a box) wrote:

> after hearing the hype i thought doa2 would be a great game. instead i'm
> left to wonder what i'm missing. other than the neat "knock your
> opponent onto another level" and the anime fan service, i'm not really
> finding the game that good. maybe the best part is with two player? i'm
> just more happy with soul calibur, even without all the extra outfits
> and less panty showing. mind you, i've only played doa2 for a couple
> hours tonight, but i'm wondering if i wasted my $15. can someone
> convince me otherwise and let me know that i'm not getting? thanx.

I know your pain. I keep a copy for sake of having a "collector's item"
moreso than a game that I play. If you don't play the two player game,
then no, there's really nothing special about DOA2. In fact, I'm assuming
you did the same as I did and bought Soul Calibur first, and that makes
DOA2 really suffer in comparision. There's not enough modes of gameplay
and stuff to keep you preoccupied for my tastes, in addition to a weird
camera that seems to change at the computer's whim, causing me to lose
matches.

Of course, I'm a bit biased because I think Soul Calibur is even better
than SC2 on the newer consoles.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

On Sat, 02 Oct 2004 23:10:41 -0400, in alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast
you etched:

>> after hearing the hype i thought doa2 would be a great game. instead i'm
>> left to wonder what i'm missing. other than the neat "knock your
>> opponent onto another level" and the anime fan service, i'm not really
>> finding the game that good. maybe the best part is with two player? i'm
>> just more happy with soul calibur, even without all the extra outfits
>> and less panty showing. mind you, i've only played doa2 for a couple
>> hours tonight, but i'm wondering if i wasted my $15. can someone
>> convince me otherwise and let me know that i'm not getting? thanx.
>
>I know your pain. I keep a copy for sake of having a "collector's item"
>moreso than a game that I play. If you don't play the two player game,
>then no, there's really nothing special about DOA2. In fact, I'm assuming
>you did the same as I did and bought Soul Calibur first, and that makes
>DOA2 really suffer in comparision. There's not enough modes of gameplay
>and stuff to keep you preoccupied for my tastes, in addition to a weird
>camera that seems to change at the computer's whim, causing me to lose
>matches.

exactly. i loved soul edge in the arcade so soul calibur was the
natural progression. even though the purists may not like weapons, i
found the fighting more intuitive. and, despite the fact that many,
many missions pissed me off, i still found it fun replay and finally
beat them.

>Of course, I'm a bit biased because I think Soul Calibur is even better
>than SC2 on the newer consoles.

i would lke to play SC2 some days, but as i don't have any plans on
owning anything newer than a DC at the moment, it'll have to wait.

ted

Distinguished
May 25, 2001
Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

"Foxx (in a box)" wrote:
snip
> i would lke to play SC2 some days, but as i don't have any plans on
> owning anything newer than a DC at the moment, it'll have to wait.

Didn't you just a paragraph ago mention something called an "arcade"?

tiger

Distinguished
May 10, 2004

Foxx (in a box) wrote:

>after hearing the hype i thought doa2 would be a great game. instead
>i'm left to wonder what i'm missing. other than the neat "knock your
>opponent onto another level" and the anime fan service, i'm not really
>finding the game that good. maybe the best part is with two player?
>i'm just more happy with soul calibur, even without all the extra
>outfits and less panty showing. mind you, i've only played doa2 for a
>couple hours tonight, but i'm wondering if i wasted my $15. can
>someone convince me otherwise and let me know that i'm not getting?
>thanx.

I don't know what your complaining about? It is a great game, one of the
great ones for the DC. Soul Cailber has more fighters and the long
mission list, other etc. DOA2 is fun, has great graphics, lots of moves
and in DOA3 gets better. The Doa ultimate with online play is a plus
as well. Now if you spent $15 on Army Men Sarge's Heroes then you got
robbed.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

>>after hearing the hype i thought doa2 would be a great game. instead
>>i'm left to wonder what i'm missing. other than the neat "knock your
>>opponent onto another level" and the anime fan service, i'm not really
>>finding the game that good. maybe the best part is with two player?
>>i'm just more happy with soul calibur, even without all the extra
>>outfits and less panty showing. mind you, i've only played doa2 for a
>>couple hours tonight, but i'm wondering if i wasted my $15. can
>>someone convince me otherwise and let me know that i'm not getting?
>>
>I don't know what your complaining about? It is a great game, one of the
>great ones for the DC. Soul Cailber has more fighters and the long
>mission list, other etc. DOA2 is fun, has great graphics, lots of moves
>and in DOA3 gets better. The Doa ultimate with online play is a plus
>as well. Now if you spent $15 on Army Men Sarge's Heroes then you got
>robbed.

i guess, then, it's just not my cup of tea. probably like shenmue
doesn't agree with some people (still have yet to play it). sad part
is, i find more replay value in MK1 than i do in DOA2.

Archived from groups: alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast (More info?)

orison <orison@mindspring.com> wrote in

> If you don't play the two player game,
> then no, there's really nothing special about DOA2.

ok that describes all fighters. Did soul calibur somehow manage a decent
single player game?

On 31 Oct 2004 15:27:27 GMT, girigiribaka <c20c985@lycos.com> wrote:

>orison <orison@mindspring.com> wrote in
>
>> If you don't play the two player game,
>> then no, there's really nothing special about DOA2.
>
>ok that describes all fighters. Did soul calibur somehow manage a decent
>single player game?

call me inexperienced, but i love the mission section. i've never
played another figther that had that (my only non-sega systems are an
original nes and an atari 2600). that, and the gameplay just seems
better. the only things that i can find about DOA2 that would make it
worth while are the anime fan service and larger environments. other
than that, i see nothing special about the game. SC just seems to have
more replay value: ie - i replaced my vmu's and lost all my soul
calibur information. i'm not having a problem playing through it
again. with DOA2 i was tired of playing it after about 15 minutes
after i got home.

girigiribaka wrote:

> ok that describes all fighters. Did soul calibur somehow manage a decent
> single player game?

I absolutely *hate* fighters, especially 2D fighters. All that pointless
button-mashing that seldom has anything to do with technique and reflexes
and bears no direct relationship to what you're physically doing on the
screen... but I have to say that I really *do* like playing Soul Calibur!
It's the only exception to the rule. Something I can pick up and have a
decent chance on without investing hours in learning inane button
combinations - yet it has so much depth! Admittedly the multi-player is what
hooked me, but I have enjoyed the odd solo effort now and then.

I reckon that's a pretty good wrap from a die-hard schmup fan!

Regards,