My computer only starts up after i remove the cpu fan and reinstall it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Solution
Hi :)

Here is a tip for you , and I own computer and laptop repair shops...

You diagnose the problem on a machine BEFORE you quote the customer... then you CANNOT lose money because even if they dont want the work done, you charge for the diagnosis....

But seeing as you are asking here... you probably need a LOT more experience before you do this for money....

Oh and ALL computers are "problematic" at one time or other, otherwise people like me wouldnt make any money and help forums like this would not exist...

Oh and its the motherboard thats faulty by the way....

All the best Brett :)

weasil

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

30 minutes, take the fan off, put it back reboots again. I unplugged it for an hour and it actually booted up again. This is not an always thing, though.

weasil

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I did try another power supply and another fan. I even tried another processor. I'm at my wit's end. I did find a MOBO with the processor for 68.00 so that will make a total of 150.00 trying to restore this computer. I won't even be able to charge for labor. I am hoping someone will have an answer to this problem. so I will know what to do the next time. Windows computers should not be so problematic. H. p. support had the answer: Buy another computer. Keep their pockets full. I guess that means they wouldn't have a desire, but to sell anything that works for only a short season.

weasil

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

I don't believe this computer is very old. It doesn't have serial ports without the card add-on. It also has the T. V. tuner add=on and wireless card. It doesn't even have the monitor plug-in on the MOBO.

Hi :)

Here is a tip for you , and I own computer and laptop repair shops...

You diagnose the problem on a machine BEFORE you quote the customer... then you CANNOT lose money because even if they dont want the work done, you charge for the diagnosis....

But seeing as you are asking here... you probably need a LOT more experience before you do this for money....

Oh and ALL computers are "problematic" at one time or other, otherwise people like me wouldnt make any money and help forums like this would not exist...

Oh and its the motherboard thats faulty by the way....

All the best Brett :)

Solution

weasil

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012
It's really strange to me. Until that CPU fan speeds up, the computer won't boot. If I turn the computer on and the CPU fan runs at a slow speed, no go. Only when the fan speeds up for a short time will it show anything on the monitor.

weasil

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2012

Brett, you are exactly right. As soon as I got this computer off of my friends boat, I didn't want to tackle it. He doesn't know anything about computers. The proper way to shut down a computer didn't always cross his mind. Checking the oil in the generator took precedence. The monitor card had a swollen capacitor, so I knew that was bad. I let him have one of my computers that I have for sale with all the plotter programs and profiles from Canada to Browsvile, Tex. plus what makes my refurbished a shrimpers dream.
I just think that if someone knew how to control the CPU fan on this computer, it would boot up. I fix and sell computers for additional money, not for a living. I am a retired commercial fisherman. I'm sure the motherboard is faulty or I wouldn't have ordered another one.

Status
Not open for further replies.