Sign in with
Your question

Best graphics card for animation 2011

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 10, 2011 10:57:27 AM

Hello,
today i buy a cpu with core i5 2500k processor with 67cl intel motherboard 4gb ram.is it suitable for work maya2011 and plz suggest me which grafic card is good for this machine how much
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 12:09:03 PM

The HD 3000 is fine if you got an OnBoard video input/output wiht resolution of 1024x768/1336x768... What resolution is your monitor? if it's 1920x1080 than a GTx 550 Ti will be enough for the $130 range but if you plan to like max everything on 1080p than get a GTx 560Ti for $200(Which should be able to max everything on 1080p)... Get 8GB RAM because 3D is ganna use more than 2GB RAM because Adobe Premiere uses like freaken more than 7GB System RAM when you add just like few items of 3D on it lol...
a b U Graphics card
August 10, 2011 12:30:36 PM

Much more important that the GPU for animation is the CPU.
I would highly recommend upgrading to a i7 2600K as Maya should get quite a boost from the extra logical cores.
Also, budget for at least 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS; it is quite inexpensive and will be quite useful.

The GPU on the other hand will have a minimal effect on rendering speeds.
To the best of my knowledge, Maya does not use CUDA, Open CL, AMD Stream or any other GPU acceleration.
While the integrated HD 3000 will probably treat you fine, any current midrange card would be a sure bet.
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 12:04:04 AM

outlw6669 said:
Much more important that the GPU for animation is the CPU.
I would highly recommend upgrading to a i7 2600K as Maya should get quite a boost from the extra logical cores.
Also, budget for at least 8GB of RAM and a 64-bit OS; it is quite inexpensive and will be quite useful.

The GPU on the other hand will have a minimal effect on rendering speeds.
To the best of my knowledge, Maya does not use CUDA, Open CL, AMD Stream or any other GPU acceleration.
While the integrated HD 3000 will probably treat you fine, any current midrange card would be a sure bet.

He's doing 3D? 3D requires a powerful GPU because my GTs 450 was lagging like nuts awhile it was using around like 7GB of system RAM.... BTW i experienced this on Adobe CS5.5 so IDK what maya can do...
a c 154 U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 4:21:52 AM

What adobe program were you using because as far as I know adobe doesn't have an actual 3d program, not to mention only a few got the designated 5.5 update. I was running maya just fine on a hd 3000 and even my 560ti can't handle my current project so I end up hiding objects with either. I haven't tested render times but mental ray does have opengl acceleration, I don't know about the software renderer. Iray supports cuda but not any of the built in renderers. Most adobe products, however, do support cuda.
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 5:56:03 AM

i do 3ds max design check my sig for spec... and have found even my gpu is ok but could be better even the cpu could be better... it can still take 2 hours to render a simple 1920x1080 image at max settings.
things like quicksilver render do help though...
also there are some suit enhancements coming that allow on gpu computation.
currently autodesk relies more on cpu than gpu for rendering raytrace images so a fast cpu is essential. oc'ing my 920 to 3.8 will being a 3hour render down to 2 so getting your sandy to 4 should bring that down again to 1.5 hours...
so your pretty much ok for now with yours.
a 2600k would give a little more wiggle room but only with very specific task. and wont offer all that much over a quad, even with hyperthreading enabled there isnt that much more potential.
gpu wise you may prefer a professional solution as they offer 3d specific options like double the maximum of antialiasing that a home user card has plus other benefits. but you have to remember your buying professional kit your gonna over pay for what your getting...
for a home user anything like a 460, or better or hd 5770 will work well enough but the higher you go the less return you will see for your money 1s you go over say a 6950 or gtx560ti
a b U Graphics card
August 11, 2011 10:22:36 PM

k1114 said:
What adobe program were you using because as far as I know adobe doesn't have an actual 3d program, not to mention only a few got the designated 5.5 update. I was running maya just fine on a hd 3000 and even my 560ti can't handle my current project so I end up hiding objects with either. I haven't tested render times but mental ray does have opengl acceleration, I don't know about the software renderer. Iray supports cuda but not any of the built in renderers. Most adobe products, however, do support cuda.

Adobe got Premiere Pro(Does 3D, probably more advance than your Maya Software) AND these other programs... Adobe Creative Suite 5.5 is like the best Software with everything you need for movies, 3D, photo, and other stuff that you need to fix...
a c 154 U Graphics card
August 12, 2011 1:43:48 AM

Premiere Pro does not have a 3d in the same sense, it has stereoscopic 3d which is the 3d effect with 3d glasses and is a video editing software. Maya does something completely different: 3d modeling which is stuff like games and pixar, which is 100x more complex than video. It can also render stereo. And again not all the programs in the cs5.5 suite are 5.5, like photoshop's highest version is only 5.1.
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2011 2:10:50 AM

k1114 said:
Premiere Pro does not have a 3d in the same sense, it has stereoscopic 3d which is the 3d effect with 3d glasses and is a video editing software. Maya does something completely different: 3d modeling which is stuff like games and pixar, which is 100x more complex than video. It can also render stereo. And again not all the programs in the cs5.5 suite are 5.5, like photoshop's highest version is only 5.1.

I Know all that, Im just saying that Premiere pro can make 3D like, not actually 3D... IDK if you understand what i mean by 3D in 2D but im guessing you never seen those 2D movies with these kind of word flying around for example... If you want to know what i looks like than here's a quick video
Example of 3D:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3H8bnKdf654
When you see those words that appear during the video, it's what i meant by 3D
a b U Graphics card
August 12, 2011 2:25:25 AM

This topic has been moved from the section CPU & Components to section Graphics & Displays by Tecmo34
!