Sign in with
Your question

My computer boots slow and stops after the bios screen

Last response: in Motherboards
November 7, 2012 9:33:54 PM

Hey folks..

The other day I was in a hurry for an address. So I looked it up on the net and ran out the door; only without noticing that the power cord was nested neatly underneath my feet before I made my dash... and my poor 200 dollar, young 3 year old humpty dumpy Toshiba laptop took a very bad fall. Now she boots slow and takes almost triple the time it used to take to get to the Toshiba bios screen.. and afterwards she just stalls with the screen still on for 15 to 20 minutes before it goes back off and it continues into blackened oblivion with the power still on but nutin' is a comin'.. windows doesn't start and the hard drive doesn't talk to the system after that initial hard drive operation stops..

So I opened it up all the way and noticed that the top memory chip (1 gig, the other 2 underneath) had been knocked to the up position and the hard drive slightly knocked crooked.. I saw no real noticable physical damage to the components or ports.. so I reseated everything and cleaned everything out to pristine electronic luster and still the same..

So do I need new memory? Hard drive? Motherboard gone :(  It seemed to have no removable bios chip that I could see.. Anyone know what this is?
a b V Motherboard
November 8, 2012 10:41:55 AM

could be a hard drive failure ...a shock from falling can cause the head spindle in the hard drive to fail.
if you hear intermittent clicking sound from your hard drive when you power up, it is a sign of either damaged spindle or hard drive pcb. since you've cleaned your system and reseated everything, disconnect the hard drive and see if you get to the BIOS faster. and try booting with one stick of ram only

good luck
-satyam
Related resources
!