Sign in with
Your question

Getting lower FPS than i should with my 2 460 GTX SLI setup

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
August 12, 2011 3:23:51 AM

I had another thread where i was asking for help with a number of things, i was asking for upgrades. Before i can upgrade anything i need to get it all running properly tho.
So basically my fps is really low when compared to similar setups.

Im running the following setup

Case: Haf 912 mid tower ATX case, with a billion different fans installed :p 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003ZM7YTA

Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00407ZUUY

CPU: Intel Core I7 950 i believe its called
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002A6G3V2
Im using a Corsair H60 cooling system for my cpu, was hoping i would learn how to overclock after everything is working properly
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004MYFOE2

Ram: 12 gigs of DDR3
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002LZ1FPG

Graphics: 2 Nvidia 460 GTX video cards in SLI mode.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003VWZEBY

Soundcard: Creative XiFi fatality championship edition
http://www.amazon.com/Express-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty...

Hard Drives: A mix of 5600 RPM hard drives using sata, and 2 raided Crucial Technology 128 GB Crucial RealSSD C300 SSD drives that i need help with.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0039SM0AS

PSU: Tuniq Ripper 1000W Power Supply, model PSU-RIP1000-BK

Using 3 samsung monitors all using 1920X1080 resolution, with an extra view sonic monitor that i use for 3d gaming. Im not running any form of nvidia surround or resolution above 1920X1080.

I was running a test someone recommended to see how my computer is handling my games.
Heres what i found.

Using battlefield bad co 2 i found that on average with max settings and resolution would get around 25 fps. I saw it drop to 19, and the peak was 30. When it dropped it was usually when a lot of particle effects were going off, like dust kicking up from explosions.
I tried running my nvidia 3d vision and only got 1-2 fps.
Checking my windows gadget, i was seeing my cpu at around 20-30%, and the ram was around 40-50%.

Heres a link to compare to where they tested using bad co 2.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/26/geforce_gtx_4...

I then tried messing around with crysis 2. I found that i would get on average about 30-35 fps. I saw my fps drop no lower than 22 fps, and it peaked at 51 fps.
Again i was using max setting, but i didnt have the dx 11 tessellation pack, nor did i download the high res texture pack.

Heres another person running the game with a similar setup.
http://www.hardocp.com/article/2010/07/26/geforce_gtx_4...

I then tried red faction armageddon. I had a very inconsistent frame rate, that would fluctuate a lot but heres what i found. Peak of 33 fps, lowest was 5 fps, on average about 22.8 fps. It would be consistent but would jump around from 20, 25, n 30 fps for the most part.

Lastly i tried arma II project arrowhead which is also mentioned in the link i posted earlier where they tested battlefield bad co 2.
The game was far too complicated to pick up and play so i mainly went thru all the opening scenes of the expansions campaign with max settings, which used in game graphics and then got to where i touch down and shoot the first few enemies. After that i ran into some problems with the controls so i stopped.

I was getting 20 fps for a bit, then 17, 26, 22, 24, and a steady 30 for a bit. On average i think thats about 23.16 fps. I hit a low point of 10 fps and a peak of 39 fps.

I believe i forgot to adjust the field of view if that was a setting in game, so i may be wrong in saying that every settings was maxed.

Any ideas on what may be wrong? I know the cards are running in sli mode.

I dont know everything i should or would want to know about computers, so if you need me to run any more tests ill gladly put in any work to get this stuff setup properly.

-Thanks for your time.

Link to the thread i started discussing all this in:
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/316040-31-questions-c...
August 12, 2011 3:30:58 AM

The first thing that comes to my mind
ist that you are driving alot of monitors at high resolutions
try turning off the monitors through windows screen resolution under right click on desktop
just run with one screen with the others turned off
I will bet your FPS jumps bigtime

I run two screens off of a HD 5670
and when I game I disable my second monitor
same with benching
even if the game is only on one monitor
graphics power is being used to drive the other ones

Just my opinion
I could be wrong.....
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:50:26 AM

Well, it at least is not a fair test unless you disable the two extra monitors. I had missed that you were running three before, if you mentioned it.
m
l
Related resources
August 12, 2011 4:07:07 AM

Yeah i believe i mentioned it, ill try without all those extra monitors, someone told me it that last thread that i shouldnt need to worry about doing that.

The thing is i want to be able to have all my monitors running with any of those games at max setting with 60 fps in 3d. I do a lot of multi tasking, you probably wouldnt believe me if i told you all the stuff im doing. Yes its not necessary the way i go about it but its the best way for me to get things done.

I was originally trying to get an idea of what i need to upgrade but we wanted to solve the gpu problem first.

Im about to try the games again and see what fps i get, but i need to close all my windows and extra stuff.
m
l
August 12, 2011 4:17:09 AM

I agree, and I think it's not a big issue, or shouldn't be a big issue, but it needs to be tested.
m
l
August 12, 2011 4:36:52 AM

to do what you want to do then you are looking
at least at a GTX 570 or HD 6950 2gb
dual GTX 460s is a good setup
but you are pushing its limits
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2011 4:52:10 AM

If you are running 4 screens at a time SLI is not enabled, SLI is only capable of using 2 screens plugged into the main video card unless you are running in surround mode, which can only use 3 screens.

m
l
August 12, 2011 10:46:38 AM

I might start running in surround mode then, but it says in the nvidia control panel that sli is enabled.

I wanna be able to run at least 3 monitors so would that mean i need to get 3 video cards to run in sli?

As for video cards im only gonna go with nvidia but no clue which one i should get, i need something that will last me years to come with 3 monitors in nvidia 3d surround, with max graphics in any game that will be released within the next to years. I can always buy the cards 1 at a time over time.

So heres what i got after testing 3 games, ill update this post once im done testing red faction armageddon

Battlefield Bad Co 2 single player: 46 peak fps, dropped to 17 fps once, on average 33.7 fps, at 28 fps running 3d dropped it to 2-3 fps.

ARMA II Project Arrowhead Campaign: Durring scenes with in game graphics where i could look around, 60 fps peak, 15 fps low, 31.6 fps average. Durring gameplay, 38 peak fps, 15 fps low, and 24.19 average fps. In 3D fps dropped from 26 fps non 3d down to 13 fps in 3d.

Crysis 2 again with out tessellation or high res packs in campaign: 54 peak fps, 32 fps low, 38.75 average fps, and when at 45 fps enabling 3d dropped it to 30 fps.

Red Faction Armageddon single player: 60 peak fps, 23 fps low, 36 average fps, and from 33 fps down to 5 fps when switchin to 3d then 15 fps (3d).
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2011 1:44:06 PM

themadhatta said:

I wanna be able to run at least 3 monitors so would that mean i need to get 3 video cards to run in sli?

No, 2 cards can run 3 screens in surround, they just can't run 3 screens in extended desktop mode.

http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2667
m
l
August 12, 2011 2:58:01 PM

Battlefield BC2 - old numbers peak 30 avg 25 low 19
new numbers peak 46 avg 33 low 17

just looking at the one game the OPs avg went up 8 FPS
and peak went up 16 FPS
so there definitley was an improvement though I dont know how that
compares to other 460 SLI setups
(edit)
looking at the link the OP provided for BC2
those numbers are low depending on settings

@OP what was your settings when you tested BC2?
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:07:23 PM

the thing is i only wanna run nvidia 3d surround with 3 3d 120 hz 120 fps monitors, but thats gonna take some time to save up for. In the mean time ill just be using 1 monitor for 1920X1080, but i need to use my other 2 if not 3 monitors. So thats why i asked if i want to run 3 monitors not in a surround setup would i need 2 or 3 cards?

Man i wish i did this research before i bought these stupid led monitors, and invested 2 grand in this stupid computer... gotta love the terrible advice ppl give you and rave about lol

So any ideas on what i can try to figure out how to get better performance out of my rig? Will disconnecting the cables from the slave gpu actually help? Should i try just unplugging my 4th monitor and then running the 3 in a surround setup to see if my performance increases?

As for what im trying to do what upgrade do you guys think i need? I was hoping to get 1 extremely nice video card and then 1 cheap slave if possible to run my other monitor(s) for now. Otherwise i might just stick with my current setup and get a motherboard that can support 3 vid cards. cpu ram and hard drive wise i think im doing fine. You guys think i should run any tests to see if my cpu is up to the task of what im wanting to do in the future?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2011 3:16:45 PM

You shouldn't have to unplug them, it should disable for you them when you click maximize 3d performance and then hit apply. You dont need an upgrade, it's not like you can game on 4 screens and you can always shut off SLI when you want to use all 4, you just need to figure out how to use the Nvidia control panel.
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:26:29 PM

according to Proximon's link
you would need 3 GPUs to run 3 monitors in non surround desktop mode
so you are looking at a mobo that can support Tri-SLI

and to run 3d surround you would have to look at getting better video cards
something like sli 570s or better to be playing at higher settings

but again right now if you are playing BC2 at 1920x1080 high settings
your FPS looks lower than other SLI 460 rigs from article OP linked

so that is still an issue
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:28:00 PM

Make sure you have latest drivers

just stating the obvious :) 
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:29:15 PM

benski said:
You shouldn't have to unplug them, it should disable for you them when you click maximize 3d performance and then hit apply. You dont need an upgrade, it's not like you can game on 4 screens and you can always shut off SLI when you want to use all 4, you just need to figure out how to use the Nvidia control panel.

sounds like good advice to me
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 12, 2011 3:32:03 PM

I have SLI 465s which should perform similar to 460s and I'm getting like 80 fps in BFBC2, so something definately isn't working right.

And Proximon's link is only for SLI, I can run 4 screens on my setup, just not with SLI enabled.
m
l
August 12, 2011 3:42:00 PM

benski said:
I have SLI 465s which should perform similar to 460s and I'm getting like 80 fps in BFBC2, so something definately isn't working right.

And Proximon's link is only for SLI, I can run 4 screens on my setup, just not with SLI enabled.

OP listen to benski
since they have the essentially the same rig as you
m
l
August 17, 2011 9:35:42 AM

Hey guys, just had a long day. Finished reading your posts. Did i test out the games with just the one monitor? Yeah i believe i did, and so my fps are still showing up low?

I dont get why my nvidia panel tells me im using sli when im not. Ill try one of those games again when i get a chance after using the adjust performance for 3d button or what ever its called in the nvidia control panel.

I can try running the setup with the monitors unplugged like u guys mentioned. Ill just try using the one in the main gpu not the slave and then maximize for 3d in the panel and give it another go.

Is there anywhere else i should go to adjust my settings? Ive started using a non changing background cuz i noticed windows aero always had a spike of fps lag in games when ever it changed backgrounds.

Any benchmarking that i should try?

Anyways jumping ahead a bit, so im asuming that if i want that full 3d surround setup rockin im a need a new motherboard that supports 3 gpu sli, then im gonna need 3 570s am i correct? Will i be needing to up my ram, HDDs or anything else? CPU maybe?

Thanks again :D 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 17, 2011 11:29:49 AM

I can't recall the last time I saw so much "fail" in a single thread.
m
l
August 17, 2011 6:45:40 PM

Hah. You should spend more time in the systems section. There's a thread there that spawned this one :) 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 17, 2011 6:47:54 PM

Proximon said:
Hah. You should spend more time in the systems section. There's a thread there that spawned this one :) 

Yeah, I started to read it but hair began growing on my eyeballs so I ran away! :lol: 
m
l
August 17, 2011 7:13:48 PM

I'm hurt :) 
I thought I gave some good advice though
I am definitely no expert at SLI/CF LOL
m
l
August 17, 2011 7:22:25 PM

Naw it's just a lot of text and we've had a lot of tough cases lately. I suggested this new thread because I wasn't being much help myself :) 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 17, 2011 7:23:55 PM

king smp said:
I'm hurt :) 
I thought I gave some good advice though
I am definitely no expert at SLI/CF LOL

The whole thing centers around the OP running four 19 x 10 monitors from two mid range cards and then wondering why they are getting less than stellar results.
m
l
August 17, 2011 7:30:19 PM

Okay then I feel better :) 

I did tell the OP they need at least two 570s to do close to what they want to.

shame of it is that the twin 460s is a good setup especially for the money
on a single 1920x1080 it should be darn good
but they have to up the "firepower" for that setup they got
m
l
August 18, 2011 2:12:16 AM

Yeah, reason i thought this setup would work was because yet again i paid someone who acted very experienced in their computer building profession but actually had no clue what they were doing. Thats why i got fed up and decided to deal with it myself.
I told the guy i wanted to run a 3d surround setup with max graphics and that it would need to last me 4 years running games in 3d at max settings. I also told him i didnt mind buying bad video cards, low ram, or even terrible hard drives, so that i could get a better cpu or motherboard. I gave him a budget of 2 grand, and this setup is what he came up with. He said it would do what i asked.... yet it cant even come close. What a waste of money :( 

Gotta love it when people get paid like crazy to not do their job, and not care when they mess up.

Wish i could start a career building computers but theres way too much i need to learn, and my passion is music. But then again now a days music requires a lot of computer knowledge :p 

Anyways ill be messing around with my setup tonight, just woke up after a really long night of no sleep so ill keep you guys posted. Sorry for my walls of text :p 

@king smp my bad just noticed u asked for my bfbc2 settings. I had everything max but the field of view i believe was set at the default setting due to me not being able to find it when i did my first test.
m
l
August 18, 2011 10:25:46 AM

Hey guys just ran the tests, made sure to tick the box that says maximize 3d performance was checked, after removing the cords to all the monitors. I left the 1 monitor plugged into the left socket of the top gpu so the main gpu not the slave.

Was running all the settings for all these games exactly the same as before. I still couldnt find the distance rendering slider for battlefield after looking all over for it. So either way the settings stayed the same for all the tests ive done so far.

Heres how it all turned out.
Crysis 2 - 60 fps average, 60 fps peak, 37 fps low.
BFBC2 - 60 fps average, 61 fps peak, 57 fps low.
Red faction armageddon - 34 fps average, 50 fps peak, 7 fps low but that area was giving me a consistent 10 fps for a bit.
Arma II - 27.5 fps average, 41 fps peak, 12 fps low.

Did not test 3D nor could i check my cpu/ram percentages since i was using just the one screen.

So lets say all those were perfect. It sounds like i need to buy a new motherboard first. I then need to check to see if my cpu is the same socket as those new 1155 sandy cpus, since dhaines0866 mentioned that there were some new "sandy bridge" cpus that would be coming out that i would wanna consider using.

So how does this sound?

New motherboard with 6 gig satas, 3 gpu sli config compatibility, and 1155 socket for the sandy bridge cpus.
Then i would wanna start purchasing nvidias 570 gtx cards 1 at a time till i have 3.
Then i would get one of those sandy bridge cpus.
Then after all that i might wanna go with a new SSD drive that i dont have to use in a raid mode.
This way i can run nvidia 3d vision surround, as well as 3 monitors in a non surround setup correct?

I will then still need to spend money on 2 new sound cards 1 ext 1 internal, as well as the 3 3d monitors which i would purchase 1 at a time.

So what do you guys think about my new fps testing, and whats your opinion on my plan for upgrading my rig?

Also if anyone has any suggestions and like where im going with my upgrades i would love to hear them. I can wait till december to get all this stuff its just gonna be very hard to wait lol.

-Thanks again

Damn it *face palm* i shoulda turned my hz from 60 hz to 120 hz, i believe that would of allowed me to get higher fps correct? I forgot that since my other monitors limit my refresh rate on my main screen that i coulda turned it up when i was doing this tests... what a waste of time :( 
You guys want me to run em again with the monitor turned up to 120 hz?
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 18, 2011 2:54:43 PM

^You can either set it to 120hz or just disable vsych so it wont lock you at 60fps, but the results seem much more inline with what you would expect from your setup than before, at least with Crysis 2 and BFBC2, I'm not really familiar with the other 2 games.

You can already run 3 monitors in a non-surround setup, just disable SLI when you want to use all the screens and then turn it back on when you are gaming, if you want to upgrade I think it would be alot easier and cheaper to just replace your 460's with something more powerful like 480s or 580s then start over from scratch and build a 3 way SLI system.

m
l
August 18, 2011 4:23:14 PM

^+1
I agree
start off with getting 580s for now
you have a strong CPU already
Upgrading from a I7-950 to 1155 Sandybridge doesnt make sense
put your money into the GPUs
dual 580s should work just fine
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 18, 2011 5:27:27 PM

themadhatta said:
Yeah, reason i thought this setup would work was because yet again i paid someone who acted very experienced in their computer building profession but actually had no clue what they were doing. Thats why i got fed up and decided to deal with it myself.
I told the guy i wanted to run a 3d surround setup with max graphics and that it would need to last me 4 years running games in 3d at max settings. I also told him i didnt mind buying bad video cards, low ram, or even terrible hard drives, so that i could get a better cpu or motherboard. I gave him a budget of 2 grand, and this setup is what he came up with. He said it would do what i asked.... yet it cant even come close. What a waste of money :( 

Gotta love it when people get paid like crazy to not do their job, and not care when they mess up.

Wish i could start a career building computers but theres way too much i need to learn, and my passion is music. But then again now a days music requires a lot of computer knowledge :p 

Anyways ill be messing around with my setup tonight, just woke up after a really long night of no sleep so ill keep you guys posted. Sorry for my walls of text :p 

@king smp my bad just noticed u asked for my bfbc2 settings. I had everything max but the field of view i believe was set at the default setting due to me not being able to find it when i did my first test.

There is your problem right there, I can only assume that this was built a while ago because it's an i7 950 so the guy's spent the bulk on mobo, RAM and CPU (like you asked) and put mid range cards in (again, like you asked) so why are complaining?
m
l
August 19, 2011 5:30:13 AM

Thanks for the input guys. That sounds like a great idea, ill up the video cards for now, then get the monitors, then work on redoing my rig i guess.

Really wish i had a better setup now instead of getting screwed like this lol

@mousemonkey
Im complaining because your misunderstanding what i said. I asked him for a setup that would be upgradeable. Meaning a really good motherboard and a really good cpu. I could later upgrade my hard drives ram and gpus and not have a problem. Thats what i was planning to do.

Instead he built the best computer to his knowledge with the 2K budget i gave him. And told me it would run games in 3d for the next 3-4 years at max settings with no problems.

Had he understood what i said, we probably would have gotten 1 460 gtx, half the amount of ram, and no SSD drives. Probably woulda got a way better cpu and motherboard. But again he did not listen or understand what i asked of him.

We wound up spending the majority of the money on the 2 SSD drives which personally i couldnt care for, which is really upsetting. I want performance and stellar multi tasking capabilities, not faster load times.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 19, 2011 5:44:51 AM

Your CPU and mobo are totally fine, the weak point is trying to run 3x 1080p monitors on less power than me (CF 5850s highly OCed) and I'm barely maxing out the high end games on a single monitor.

Upgrade to SLI 570s or a 590 (waste of cash for 590 IMO but it'll do the trick). At most learn to OC your CPU, because there's no way it's being a bottleneck* and neither is the Sabertooth mobo. Yes, Sandy Bridge is better but it will not make a difference without first getting the right GPUs.

*games without multithreading can certainly suffer FPS loss, and an OC can gain a few FPS, but generally even at stock it's going to be able to perform better than the current 460s can handle.

OH, one more thing. Generally the only reason you achieve a perfect 60 fps is because you have vsync enabled. Turn that off and you should see much higher FPS.
m
l
August 20, 2011 9:20:48 AM

Thanks a bunch for the info i think im fairly certain what i want to do with my rig now.
What exactly is multithreading?

My plan is to purchase 2 Nvidia 590 GTX cards, as well as one acer HS244HQ monitor so i can have at least 1 3D 1080p monitor.
That will be around $2100 which is perfect for my budget right now.
Then later when i want to get the full 3d surround setup then ill buy a nice mother board another vid card, and then another 2 3D monitors. Hopefully by then the price will have dropped a lot.

The cool thing is i still will be able to play nvidias surround setup in non 3d since i have 2 lcd 1080p monitors that i like. I cant believe i wasted money on 2 high end 1080p led monitors around january. LEDs suck sooooo much :( 

Does anyone wanna suggest a better idea or argue me into a new plan, im very open to hearing any other options or ideas because im still not sure about this whole plan.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and input :D 
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 20, 2011 11:28:15 AM

themadhatta said:
Thanks a bunch for the info i think im fairly certain what i want to do with my rig now.
What exactly is multithreading?

My plan is to purchase 2 Nvidia 590 GTX cards, as well as one acer HS244HQ monitor so i can have at least 1 3D 1080p monitor.
That will be around $2100 which is perfect for my budget right now.
Then later when i want to get the full 3d surround setup then ill buy a nice mother board another vid card, and then another 2 3D monitors. Hopefully by then the price will have dropped a lot.

The cool thing is i still will be able to play nvidias surround setup in non 3d since i have 2 lcd 1080p monitors that i like. I cant believe i wasted money on 2 high end 1080p led monitors around january. LEDs suck sooooo much :( 

Does anyone wanna suggest a better idea or argue me into a new plan, im very open to hearing any other options or ideas because im still not sure about this whole plan.

Thanks again everyone for all your help and input :D 

You need 3 monitors for 2D Surround Vision.
m
l
August 20, 2011 12:55:27 PM

Well right now i can run nvidias surround setup since i have 3 1900X1080 monitors, so with 1 3d monitor in 1080p and 120 hz im set with 1 screen in 3d. Then non 3d surround i got the 3 1900X1080s.
That means if i get the 1 1900X1080 3d 120 hz screen, i will only need 2 more to get the full nvidia 3d surround setup, correct?
m
l
a c 171 Î Nvidia
August 20, 2011 12:58:42 PM

Yes, for 3D Surround you will need 3 120hz monitors.
m
l
August 20, 2011 1:01:04 PM

i thought 60hz worked? So i need 3 120 hz? So then with the 2 120 hz monitors i will only need 1 more monitor?
But i was able to run the nvidia non 3d surround setup in Battlefield Bad Co 2 with my 3 monitors, 2 being 60hz cap and 1 being 120 hz cap.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 20, 2011 3:42:54 PM

60 hz doesn't work for 3D vision, and you couldn't run a partial 3d vision surround setup because all the screens have to have the same refresh rate to enable surround, so you would have to set the 120hz 3d screen to 60hz if your other screens are 60hz, and then 3d wouldn't work on it.
m
l
a b Î Nvidia
August 20, 2011 3:50:35 PM

2 GTX 590s would certainly work, but I don't recommend that. They get very hot and are very big and very power hungry. Two GTX 580s would be adequete. Still, if you have the spare cash and they'll fit in your case, two 590s would be pretty sick.
m
l
August 21, 2011 6:29:03 AM

Is there any form of water cooling for the 590s i could invest in similar to what im using for my cpu?

I have a corsair H60 water cooling setup, was told that i dont need to worry about replacing the coolant, and that the hoses are very durable and that its practically maintenance free, and that it should last me a good 4 5 years or more.

Although thats just what i was told i actually know nothing about the corsair h60 lmao

Just mentioning it because wolf said they run really hot.

I do have a nice fan setup but i dont think its what i should be using. I got these 2 crazy loud crazy powerful fans. One is intake on the bottom of the front of the computer, and the other is an outtake fan on the top. Problem is with my fan controller i cant control them, so either i basically get regular fan power, or if i fiddle with the plugs then i get no control but full power. Its either one or the other.
I think they can hit 250 cfm or more lol

m
l
August 21, 2011 8:05:33 AM

If you want to watercool two 590s and a CPU you would have to have real water cooling. Probably dual loops, which means two pumps and two or three large radiators... and an external enclosure to house all that.

You will pay about $300 just for the two GPU water blocks, and you'll need to be careful to purchase GTX 590s that are compatible. Or buy GTX 590s that come with a water block. $200 for the pumps.... When it's all done probably well over $1k in water parts, and you will have maintenance and assembly will take a few days as you test for leaks and such.

There are no shortcuts for GPU water cooling as there are for CPUs. That's because you are dealing with a lot more heat.

Here's a video of a guy that did it with one loop. Don't know how his temps are:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=25E-luCfn04
m
l
August 21, 2011 8:44:20 AM

Thanks for the link, that looks crazy. My friend went thru hell with his water cooling, scared me off the idea of ever using water cooling till the h60 was recommended to me.
m
l
August 23, 2011 1:16:10 PM

So if u guys were in my position and had money to waste would you buy the two 590 GTX cards and a 3 monitor to 3d game with?

I should also mention that I was running all the Crysis 2 Graphics on extreme, which I thought was the highest, but it turns out they all go up to ultra. I started using those settings with v sync off and on average I got like 29 fps I think it peaked at 32 fps and hit a low of 20 fps.

I also have a problem with my fans I'd like to resolve. So if anyone has any input please let me know. I will be making another thread about this.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/312067-28-need-contro...
Lemme know if you think there's a better section i should ask in.
m
l
August 24, 2011 12:21:30 AM

That's the right question to ask :) 

The more screen you have to scan the more your head has to move and the slower your reaction time in FPS games. Then there are MMORPGS. Say you are in a raid and have to monitor the health of 20 people, chat, relative threat, event notifications.... you really don't want all that spread out too far.
So, I'm not interested in too much screen real estate. In fact, I'm not interested in anything larger than about 24".

I have in the past considered a second non-gaming monitor, but really I have no need.

So beyond a certain point I become more interested in parts external to my computer. A really nice desk. High end headphones. A good chair.

I have a single 5870 and I'm playing the new Deus Ex game at max settings, 1920x1080. I have no need to upgrade yet.
m
l
!