limiting Desktop backgrounds listed

Hi-
I mistakenly just installed Webshots and then decided to uninstall. One side effect of the adventure seems to be that all of of the files from my "My Pictures" folder (thousands) are now listed in the bakground list within display options. How do I get it back the way it was where only the default wallpapers or ones I've specifically browsed to and added are listed? It really slows down the page load by having to list every picture in the folder.

Thanks in advance for any help.
Spencer
3 answers Last reply
More about limiting desktop backgrounds listed

    Hi Spencer,

    Without ever having installed Webshots and knowing what the program has
    changed, suggestions:

    The pictures that show up under display properties, desktop are located in
    these folders:

    C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Pictures
    C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    C:\Windows\Resources\Themes

    Under My Computer scroll down to Shared Documents/Shared Pictures. If
    Shared Pictures is listed, remove it.

    TweakUI for XP: Unchecking "Lock Web Content" under Explorer to be added
    to desktop disables the pictures from being listed.

    Workarounds:

    Create another folder (under your user profile), remove the pictures from My
    Pictures that you don't want listed under Backgrounds and in the My Pictures
    folder, create a shortcut to the new folder. Or create subfolders within My
    Pictures.

    Add Folders to the "Save As" Dialog (Places Bar) Line 117

    Disable Default Save As to My Pictures (Line 263)

    Add Folder to Start Menu to replace/re-route My Pictures (Line 2)

    To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad by
    right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.

    Good luck and keep us posted!

    --
    All the Best,
    Kelly

    Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award

    Troubleshooting Windows XP
    http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com

    Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!

    "sma" <sma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    > Hi-
    > I mistakenly just installed Webshots and then decided to uninstall. One
    > side effect of the adventure seems to be that all of of the files from my
    > "My Pictures" folder (thousands) are now listed in the bakground list
    > within display options. How do I get it back the way it was where only
    > the default wallpapers or ones I've specifically browsed to and added are
    > listed? It really slows down the page load by having to list every
    > picture in the folder.
    >
    > Thanks in advance for any help.
    > Spencer

    Thanks, Kelly.
    After doing some more digging, I think this is looking like a known issue with SP2 RC2, unrelated to webshots.

    Apparently it has been filed as a bug with the current build.

    Hmm, not on any of my six systems here!

    --

    > Thanks, Kelly.
    > After doing some more digging, I think this is looking like a known issue
    > with SP2 RC2, unrelated to webshots.
    >
    > Apparently it has been filed as a bug with the current build.
    >

    > "Kelly" wrote:
    >
    >> Hi Spencer,
    >>
    >> Without ever having installed Webshots and knowing what the program has
    >> changed, suggestions:
    >>
    >> The pictures that show up under display properties, desktop are located
    >> in
    >> these folders:
    >>
    >> C:\Documents and Settings\user name\My Documents\My Pictures
    >> C:\WINDOWS\Web\Wallpaper
    >> C:\Windows\Resources\Themes
    >>
    >> Under My Computer scroll down to Shared Documents/Shared Pictures. If
    >> Shared Pictures is listed, remove it.
    >>
    >> TweakUI for XP: Unchecking "Lock Web Content" under Explorer to be
    >> added
    >> to desktop disables the pictures from being listed.
    >> http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/pro/downloads/powertoys.asp
    >>
    >> Workarounds:
    >>
    >> Create another folder (under your user profile), remove the pictures from
    >> My
    >> Pictures that you don't want listed under Backgrounds and in the My
    >> Pictures
    >> folder, create a shortcut to the new folder. Or create subfolders within
    >> My
    >> Pictures.
    >>
    >> Add Folders to the "Save As" Dialog (Places Bar) Line 117
    >>
    >> Disable Default Save As to My Pictures (Line 263)
    >>
    >> Add Folder to Start Menu to replace/re-route My Pictures (Line 2)
    >>
    >> To use the Regedit: Save the REG File to your hard disk. Double click it
    >> and answer yes to the import prompt. REG files can be viewed in Notepad
    >> by
    >> right clicking on the file and selecting Edit.
    >>
    >> Good luck and keep us posted!
    >>
    >> --
    >> All the Best,
    >> Kelly
    >>
    >> Microsoft-MVP Windows® XP
    >> 2004 Windows MVP "Winny" Award
    >>
    >> Troubleshooting Windows XP
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com
    >>
    >> Taskbar Repair Tool Plus!
    >> http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/taskbarplus!.htm
    >>

    >> "sma" <sma@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >> > Hi-
    >> > I mistakenly just installed Webshots and then decided to uninstall.
    >> > One
    >> > side effect of the adventure seems to be that all of of the files from
    >> > my
    >> > "My Pictures" folder (thousands) are now listed in the bakground list
    >> > within display options. How do I get it back the way it was where only
    >> > the default wallpapers or ones I've specifically browsed to and added
    >> > are
    >> > listed? It really slows down the page load by having to list every
    >> > picture in the folder.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks in advance for any help.
    >> > Spencer

Configuration Desktops Microsoft Customization Windows XP