Need Help For Budget HTPC Build

Len47811

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I need it to stream netflix in 1080p..and Hulu and any other free video sites.Also it needs to be able to be used as a DVR.I don't care too much about saving video or playing blue-ray.I just want it to stream movies and shows and record movies and shows.I need to know what i need to buy to make this work.Do i need a tv tuner?Graphics card?I want to keep cost down as much as possible without compromising quality of video and audio.

Also is an HDMI port required or necessary?Is beyond tv a good software to use?Do i need windows 7 or will Linux work for my needs just as well?Oh i almost forgot I want to be able to skip commercials as painlessly as possible.Can i run my digital cable box thru it?

Thanks!

michxymi

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011

Get a media player instead of HTPC....It will cover all your needs plus you can stream movies from your home network

Western Digital WD TV Live Plus HD Media Player

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136593

cutebeans

Distinguished
Copied from link below.

http://www.squidoo.com/electronicandmore

$300 Build
HTPC/Office Computer
Well, I've noticed that I can't exactly use my 450$ build as a build for just office usage or just as a HTPC. One being that case makes your HTPC look like a computer more than a media center, and frankly. I just wanted to update the site. Lets get to it shall we.

1. CPU
Well here, the cheapest CPU wouldn't matter since this computer really only needs to do office work or just do some media center management. So even a dual-core would suffice here. The AMD Llano A6-3500 would be my choice here running at about $100. It really is a great bang for the buck because for such a cheap price, the reason being it packs a punch giving you the performance of a Athlon II X3 and a little bit more but also gives you a low TDP by integrating graphics on the die but also having the new 32nm fab which gives the chip only a 65w TDP.

2. Motherboard
Asrock A75M-HVS, well suffice to say that this board will basically do it all. At about 70$, it has all the things a motherboard needs to function. Plus it has USB 3.0 and SATA 3 which future proofs the board, and it's one of the cheapest FM1 boards out there. The board also has HDMI which for all those HTPC users would allow for the audio and video to be transferred through that.

3. Memory
Well here it was basically a no brainer with RAM/Memory so dirt cheap now-a-days. DDR3 4GB ram could be picked up pretty easily at a low 30$ range. And so I chose the G.Skill 4GB DDR3 1600 , it's cheap ram that does the job for only $28. What more could you ask for. You could easily go for 2gb, but with 4GB being the main target/requirement for most future apps, I think you might as well get the 4 gigs now.

4. Power supply
Here any cheapo power supply would do it. But since it is a HTPC build or an office computer, the 80+ might be necessary to save you some money on your power bill. Granted it won't save much. So I chose the Seasonic SS-300ET 300w 80+ bronze PSU at $40. It's a OEM power supply, but a darn good one at that. It'll do the job for most office workers or media centers, but don't plan on upgrading to any high powered video cards on this power supply. Oh another reason for this power supply is compared to most, it's pretty quiet.

5. Hard Drive
The Samsung F4 320gb at $40 wins my pick here. Sure sure there was a 500gb Western Digital WD5000AAKS that was only 40$ but that's only for people who have access to Newegg. So if you don't I suggest going for the Samsung F4 320gb. To be honest, any hard drive would suffice here. However IDE drives defiantly would not be the route to go. Stick to SATA drives, like the ones mentioned.

6. Case
Office Case: For Office, you want just a normal looking desktop. Well the Antec VSK-2000 is pretty solid asthetically. Plus as such a world wide company, it should have similar pricing everywhere. Which is about 45$. It doesn't have flair, but hey, that's most offices for you.
HTPC Case: For HTPC, don't want a desktop looking case, so I decided that it the case should look rather nice asthetically. I found that the Silverstone Grandia GD05B looks rather nice. I wouldn't mind it being near my TV. It'd just look like another DVD player in the set. Well this case offers the basic fans, it looks nice asthetically, plus it's a solid brand. Though, it costs the most, running at about $85.

Office build total: $323
HTPC build total: $363