CPU Ugrade

Hello,

My current system is based on a Core2Duo E6420 2.13ghz mounted on a Gigabyte 965P-DS3 rev3.3 with 8gb of ram and mated to a Palit 9600GT 1gb video card, running Win7Ultimate-64bit. I want to upgrade the CPU only, but am not sure which LGA775 chip to get. I don't do any hardcore gaming. The only game I play is Lord of the Rings Online and it runs fine on my system. I just want a little more power for multi-tasking and gaming. Not sure if my GPU or CPU is a bottleneck. I don't want to overclock my current cpu because when I do that, my soundcard gets funky. My music will start to crackle and pop when I surf the web or try to scroll up and down a web page. (It's a known issue with Creative X-fi soundcards.) I've been looking at the Pentium Dual Core E6700 3.2ghz with 2mb L2 cache or a core2duo quad core. Just want to know what my best option would be. My budget is about $100-$150. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
bladerunner0427
7 answers Last reply
More about ugrade
  1. Look into a used Core2Quad q6600. They're pretty cheap on eBay and will get you exactly what you're looking for. I've got a q6600 machine that still runs great and I use it daily. Should be able to just swap. processors and continue as you were, too, which would be really nice for ya.
  2. Thanks for the reply. I've looked at at some of the higher end quads, but I would prefer to stick to a chip that has a TDP of 65W which is what my current chip is rated at.

I'm wondering if I would see any real gains buy getting the Pentium E6700 which is 65W. Ideally, I would like to get a Q9xxxS because they are 65W, but they are out of my price range.
  3. you'd really see no difference unless you are gaming.
    in which case you'd be getting quiet a bit of increase in terms of cpu power.
  4. Changing the CPU will increase your multi-tasking, but if you want an increase in gaming performance then you ideally want to change the GPU as well. I know that's not what you're after right now, but it's worth mentioning.
  5. You would see a decent improvement going to the Pentium E6700 BUT, it won't be day and night. Probably 'good enough' though for your setup.

If you want gaming, go with a new graphics card too. Low proc. clock with good GPU still results in poor gaming performance. Decent CPU clock with good graphics at least has a decent gaming performance but not amazing.
  6. Thanks everyone for your input. I don't do any hardcore gaming on my pc. The next game I may try is Star Wars The Old Republic once a free trial comes out. With my current setup, which is the bottleneck: E6420 @ 2.13ghz or the Palit 9600GT 1gb?

Thanks again.
  7. they are around even but the cpu might be a slight bottleneck
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs