Help needed pls

punchy1973

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Hi All

this is a first time post so please be gental as i am no expert on PC's. My question is i recently strating having problems with my display when playing games and interne, blocky colours appered and i had to keep restatring my pc this cleared it and i would get another 30mins play. eventulally i switched my PC on day and you could hear it boot but the screen was black nothing, could'nt F2 or F12 just black.

So i decided to buy a new graphics card as that was the advice i was given, i brought a MSI GTX 560 installed it in my PC and started it up.
Now i have got some picture, the start up etc but it then goes straight into the BSOD, i have tried starting it from safe mode and all the others but still BSOD, i have also tried the Dell diagnostics express one which came back clean.

Question where do i go from here.

PC is a Dell XPS 720 i think, not sure on motherboard, but power supply says it 750 watts and i am running XP.

Please help

When you udate your drivers with the latest one, you have somewhere along the line the choise between installing while keeping all your old settings ( i believe the first option ) and the option to do a clean install, so with deleting all the old settings. Sometimes NVidea is a bit troublesome with old settings. I hope you understand my maybe not so clear reply, i'm not that skilled in English to explain it better, maybe someone else can explain it better ?

punchy1973

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2011
Thanks, no i understand.
I have not installed any drivers for the new GTX 560 card as i am unable to get past the blue screen of death. So at the moment my PC will have the drivers installed for me old graphics card the 8800 GTS.

I guess these old drivers could be causing me the problem of me not being able to proceed further, whoever how can i uninstall the old drivers without loading XP.

thanks

Maybe you can borrow a low profile GPU ( or an other 8800 GTS ) and the try to see if you can get into windows, then uninstall the GPU and than try the 560. No idea if it will work but it's worth a try maybe ? By the way, do you have a PCI-E 2 slot ? Maybe thats causing the problem ( a pci-e 2 GPU should work with a PCI-E 1 slot though )