AC97 audio header, HD Front Panel

Tinkerer05

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2011
I'm in the process of rebuilding a few computers and ran into a problem hooking up the front panel audio with one of the cases. The mobo I'm using has an AC97 audio header and the case only has an HD plug with no option for AC97. I was wondering if anyone knows of a way to modify the HD plug for use with an AC97 header or if there's any sort of adapter on the market. I've been looking at the pin layouts at http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/cs-015851.htm and reading around some, but keep finding completely different answers. I read that disconnecting the pin 7 wire from the HD plug would work, but didn't want to try it without checking a more credible site. Any help would be appreciated.

plasmastorm

Distinguished
Oct 18, 2008
Just plug it straight in
I build PC's 2-3x a week to order in my shop

Previously I've always used the stasndard AC'97 header from the case to the motherboard reguardless of what themotherboard had stamped on it.
Then as Cases have(oh so slowly) changed to the HD header (most still have a AC'97 also) I've just plugged them straight in without issue.

To be honest in my experience there is no noticable difference anyway between the 2 except what the label says, they both connect to the same motherboard header and they both do the same job. Getting Audio to your front audo jack socket.

Hope that helps :)