100 used Dreamcasts for $700 on ebay

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

"Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48752&item=6927617107&rd=1

> this is really sad.
>
> 100 Dreamcasts for the launch price of a Panasonic 3DO REAL ($700 in
> 1993)
> or just a little more than the launch price of the NeoGeo cartridge
> system (Gold System, $650 in 1990).
>
> what has the videogame world come to ?

I know im gonna be flamed for this, but let the poor console die in peace.
Sure Sega used to be a kickass company back in the early genny days, and
they are still releasing solid games across all consoles, but the DC was
dead almost as soon as it got out of the gates and they only thing
surprising to me about its premature death was that it took so long for it
to happen. I for one am very happy that they stuck to something they knew
well, software, and I wish that Nintendo would go the same route instead of
giving us lackluster consoles. Leave the hardware to Sony and MS, let the
true software geniuses worry about making games instead of half assed
hardware.

Wurm

JOJO

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

> I for one am very happy that they stuck to something they knew
> well, software... Leave the hardware to Sony and MS...

Sega doesn't know hardware... hmm, they've been making consoles and arcade
machines for how long? 20+ years?

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

"Radeon350" <Radeon350@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=48752&item=6927617107&rd=1
>

> this is really sad.
>
> 100 Dreamcasts for the launch price of a Panasonic 3DO REAL ($700 in
> 1993)
> or just a little more than the launch price of the NeoGeo cartridge
> system (Gold System, $650 in 1990).
>
> what has the videogame world come to ?

It's gone to you not crediting me for this original post on the Gaming Age
forums. :p

--
goodcow
goodcowfilms.com

Archived from groups: rec.games.video.sega,alt.games.video.sega-dreamcast,uk.games.video.dreamcast (More info?)

> or thats the way that I see it :).
>
> Wurm

You have no clue...

Wurm wrote:

>>>Sure Sega used to be a kickass company back in the early genny days, and
>>>they are still releasing solid games across all consoles, but the DC was
>>>dead almost as soon as it got out of the gates
>>
>>They couldn't manufacture enough when it launched in Japan, and in America
>>it was the biggest console launch ever.
>
> And yet when it released I never heard a damn thing about it, never noticed
> it for sale at Zellers or Walmart up here in Canada. I only even learned it
> existed a year after it came out, never saw a TV commercial for it, etc etc
> etc.

Were you looking in the right places? In Europe it was quite well
advertised, they sponsored the kit of a Premier League football side and
so on. It's just that in my, and many others opinion, the advertising
was handled so, so badly and did little to make the general public think
it was much different from the Playstation they already had.

<snip>
> I know im in the minority in this NG, but im way in the majority for gamers
> for this. When I used my DC, I must have downloaded 75 percent of the games
> out there for the system, just to see what there was available (no one in my
> area carried anything for the DC that was resonably priced, up until a year
> ago, local Walmarts were still asking 59.99$ for Deep Fighter), almost each
> game I downloaded lasted about half an hour in my DC till I threw it out.
> The only games that I found worth playing (and therefore purchased, im not a
> pirate....) were Virtua Tennis (the first one, hated the sequel),
> SoulCalibur, and I even picked up Toy Story 2 as I found it a really fun
> little platformer. I bought Skies of Arcadia and Grandia 2 blind, assuming
> I'd love them (big jap-RPG fan) and they are among two of the worst jap-RPGs
> I've ever played.

You downloaded 75 percent of the games, but you're not a pirate. You
evidently have a 'net connection (to download said games), the greatest
repository out there of what's what in the gaming world, but you need to
pirate all the games to see whats out there? Similarly, you bought SoA
and G2 blind despite having the ability to either pirate them, or
quickly and easily read a review? Everything you say is laced with
contradictions, which doesn't do the greatest job of helping your argument.

> So, as wierd as it may sound, out of most of their library
> I literraly found nothing worth while to play, and considering the demise of
> the system, I'm definetly not the only one who felt this way. And dont go
> and blame its demise on pirating or anything silly like that, the PSx did
> just fine and that had far more pirating going on.

Right, so you found nothing worthwhile to play out of most of the games.
So why are you saying Sega should keep "doing what it does best, make
games"? Make up your mind.

Followups set...

--
[ste]