Rampage IV Extreme, extension cables question

f847

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
I am planning to get some extension cables, for RIVE and CPU - 3930k

BitFenix 8Pin EPS12V and BitFenix 4Pin ATX12V

to extent the 4pin and 8pin.

I guess these would be the ones, am I right?

Solution

The 4 pin auxiliary connector is actually the EPS 4 pin tertiary connector, not a 4 pin ATX connector. I believe that they are electrically and physically identical though. Marketers constantly get these confused, but it doesn't really matter. So yeah, those should work nicely

The 4 pin auxiliary connector is actually the EPS 4 pin tertiary connector, not a 4 pin ATX connector. I believe that they are electrically and physically identical though. Marketers constantly get these confused, but it doesn't really matter. So yeah, those should work nicely

Solution

Just as a side note, make sure that you hook up the EZ_PLUG1 and EZ_PLUG2 power connectors as well. The manual states that these are only needed for 3/4 way GPU configurations and 8 DIMM configurations but earlier revisions of the RIVE seem to actually need them for peripheral power as well.

Yes. EZ_PLUG1 is a 6 pin PCIe connector. The RIVE supports so many GPUs that the ATX12v connector alone cannot safely deliver the specified 75-150 watts per card. Thus, an auxiliary power connector is needed

EZ_PLUG2 is a 4 pin Floppy connector (4 pin Molex on Rampage 4 Formula). The manual states that this is to provide stable power delivery to the DIMMs, but it also seems to power the Ethernet port and a few other things as well.

f847

Honorable
Oct 4, 2012
Thanks a lot, I see many rigs without them plugged in.

And the 4 pin cable that comes with my psu is way too short for the EZ_PLUG2, I 'll see what I can do :)