Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Is My PSU Faulty?

Last response: in Components
January 12, 2012 4:51:38 AM

Hello I was just wondering if my PSU was faulty.

PSU - 750w Huntkey.

When I play BF3 my game seem to stutters a lot which shouldn't be normal when I play on ultra with a 6950. I average around 45 - 50 fps with a FX-4100.

Thanks, Cameron.

More about : psu faulty

January 12, 2012 7:41:51 AM

Please post complete specifications of your system.

As you stated you're facing lags(actually) then,there is a little chance of malfunctioning of your PSU,It's may be due to your Memory configuration or CPU.
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 8:09:01 AM

your psu isnt the problem its the cpu and your gfx settings... the 6950 cant run the game on ultra and stay above 30fps minimum well it could if you had a cpu with better single threading performance. but only just... turn your settings down to high and reduce any anti-aliasing to 4 or less. that should smooth out any fps drops...
also make sure your using the latest performance drivers (12.1) not the vanilla 1s on the amd site.
Score
Related resources
January 12, 2012 9:17:56 AM

HEXiT said:
your psu isnt the problem its the cpu and your gfx settings... the 6950 cant run the game on ultra and stay above 30fps minimum well it could if you had a cpu with better single threading performance. but only just... turn your settings down to high and reduce any anti-aliasing to 4 or less. that should smooth out any fps drops...
sldo mskr sure your using the latest performance drivers (12.1) not the vanilla 1s on the amd site.

Please don't say that a 6950 can't stay above 30 fps when it play on average 45 - 50 fps. My AA is on 2x and the other thing is on 8x. Also when I get the stuttering issues the frame rate doesn't drop it stays above 40.
Score
January 12, 2012 9:23:02 AM

vishal s said:
Please post complete specifications of your system.

As you stated you're facing lags(actually) then,there is a little chance of malfunctioning of your PSU,It's may be due to your Memory configuration or CPU.

I have a gigs of DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz. G.Skill

This is my motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz

His Ice Q 6950 2 GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1.

I have all of the newest drivers as well.
Score
January 12, 2012 12:23:45 PM

Cam_Durack said:
I have a gigs of DDR3 RAM @ 1333 MHz. G.Skill

This is my motherboard - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD FX-4100 3.6 GHz

His Ice Q 6950 2 GB

Windows 7 Ultimate 64 Bit SP1.

I have all of the newest drivers as well.

You mean you've only 1GB RAM?

ATI 6970 is adequate for BF3 even at ultra settings,yeah it's tough to get high FPS.So it's not compatible(not hardware) problem with your GPU.

Score
January 12, 2012 2:34:37 PM

vishal s said:
You mean you've only 1GB RAM?

ATI 6970 is adequate for BF3 even at ultra settings,yeah it's tough to get high FPS.So it's not compatible(not hardware) problem with your GPU.

I have 8 gigs of ram forgot to put that in there.
Score

Best solution

a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 2:36:22 PM

How is your heat looking?

eta: I am not sure I would pin this on the PSU just yet. Have you eliminated all of the potential sources of interference from around your monitor, such as speakers, cell phones, or other such devices? I actually have a paper shredder that makes my screen wobble and speakers pop.

If you eliminate everything else the only way to say for sure is to replace the unit. Of course if that isn't the problem then you have potentially purchased a new psu for naught.
a b ) Power supply
January 12, 2012 3:18:37 PM

If the PSU was the problem, you would get screen freezes or locks, or possibly restarts. Jitter or lag is not PSU related.
Score
January 12, 2012 10:50:12 PM

totalknowledge said:
How is your heat looking?

eta: I am not sure I would pin this on the PSU just yet. Have you eliminated all of the potential sources of interference from around your monitor, such as speakers, cell phones, or other such devices? I actually have a paper shredder that makes my screen wobble and speakers pop.

If you eliminate everything else the only way to say for sure is to replace the unit. Of course if that isn't the problem then you have potentially purchased a new psu for naught.

I will have a try moving everything that I think will cause the stuttering.

My GPU temps around 80 degrees, Motherboard temp is in the sixtes and hard drive temp is around 50. I got these temperatures from speccy.
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 14, 2012 6:20:09 PM

If that is your idle temp your gpu might be overheating. Sometimes insufficient power can contribute to over heating, but make sure that your case airflow is good, and that the cards cooling fans are working and are unobstructed.
Score
January 14, 2012 11:27:46 PM

totalknowledge said:
If that is your idle temp your gpu might be overheating. Sometimes insufficient power can contribute to over heating, but make sure that your case airflow is good, and that the cards cooling fans are working and are unobstructed.

They are my temps after playing BF3 for after an hour. My GPU fan speed is at 56 percent, I did this with AMD over drive.

My idle temps are GPU 43 degrees, Motherboard 40 degrees and Hard Drive is 35 degrees.
Score
January 15, 2012 8:27:50 AM

Even when I play on low this happens. Can anyone help me?
Score
January 21, 2012 11:25:06 PM

Best answer selected by Cam_Durack.
Score
a b ) Power supply
January 22, 2012 6:11:32 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!