RAM wrong way

DraGos1412

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
What can it happen if i insert the ram the wrong way, making the pc release some burned smell. Now i placed the ram the right way and tested 1 by 1, it just gives a continoues beep and the fans are still waiting, is the motherboard dead? My guess is that the motherboard is still working since it still powers my fans, probably some pins of the ram socket burned? I cant see any phisycal damage on the socket, and if it is burnt is there any way to fix it?

How did you manage to insert your RAM backwards? The little notch on the bottom is designed to prevent either inserting the RAM backwards or inserting the wrong kind of RAM.

A burned smell means that something probably died. The only way to tell what is to test the RAM in another working computer and to test your motherboard with known good RAM (from a working system).

Both are a little risky, because bad components could (not likely, but could) destroy the good components used to test them.

And next time, read the motherboard manual a little more closely. :)

DraGos1412

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

Thing is i used the ram from another computer, probably used a different ddr that is why i managed to stick it in, and now i ve placed the ram that i know for sure it s good but on boot it just gives me a continous beep code, so if the ram is good and it still doesnt boot the fault should be of the motherboard but the fans still work so it couldnt be dead

keithmfr

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
Just because the fans spin, and all the LED's are on, doesn't mean the motherboard is good. Test it with RAM you know is working. Or use another computer to test it with memtest86. Next time, be more careful. Don't rush into anything. Before you set everything make sure you have all the correct components.

And read the manual.

DraGos1412

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012

I tested it with ram that i am totally sure its working, and it still gives me a continous beep without boot, does that mean the motherbaord is dead? Should i proceed to take it out and take a look for any burned areas underneath it?

DraGos1412

Honorable
Nov 7, 2012
Found the problem, unscrewed the motherboard, underneath one of the ram slots a small circuit, like 1 small piece of it is burned, even if its only on one side both the slots are not working. Any way i can fix the little piece of burned area of the circuit?

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
If you read the manual, it will tell you what the beep codes mean.

From what you're saying though, it sounds like you shorted the motherboard.

InvalidError

Titan
Fans running does not mean anything other than they are getting power. You could drill holes through the PCB, turn the PC on and the fans will still run as long as your holes are clean enough not to cause layer shorts and you don't hit a fan-related trace.