Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

$700-800 first time build. Need some ideas/Advice/Insight

Last response: in Systems
Share
October 12, 2011 9:09:11 PM

Hey, new to the forums need some advice and idea on making a computer with $700-800!!


Approximate Purchase Date: going to this week

Budget Range:$700-800 Before / After Rebates

System Usage from Most to Least Important: gaming, surfing the internet, watching movies

Parts Not Required:keyboard, mouse, monitor, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: newegg.com

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type Msi mobo,intel i5 2500k

Overclocking: Maybe

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: 1440x900

Additional Comments: a computer that can play most of the high settings games
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So far this is what i pick out:

Antec 300 case
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 ST3500413AS 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Rosewill Green Series RG630-S12 630W Continuous @40°C,80 PLUS Certified, Single 12V Rail, Active PFC "Compatible with Core i7,i5" Power Supply
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL9D-8GBXL
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

MSI P67A-GD65 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS ENGTX560 DCII OC/2DI/1GD5 GeForce GTX 560 (Fermi) 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
$796.7 after mail and rebate

i already have a tight budget and need some help with what i can replace these parts with others for a better computer.

Thanks in advance
October 12, 2011 9:49:33 PM

drop the processor to a 2400

Related resources
October 12, 2011 10:10:01 PM

drop the gtx 560 to a 460, as it's cheaper, and a 560 is essentially an oc'ed 460.
October 12, 2011 10:55:57 PM

Here's a build that allows you to add another one of those cards later on in SLI. Just another option to look at.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Three-Hundred-External-Inte... $44.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-80PLUS-Bronze-Performance-Sup... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
OCZ ZS Series 750 Watt 80PLUS Bronze Performance ATX Power Supply - OCZ-ZS750W

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z68E3G3 $124.99 Free Shipping
ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 LGA1155

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-2500KBX $214.99 Free Shipping 10% off your order (max $10) w/ code: HOOT, ends 10/17
Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 CPU, Retail - BX80623I52500K

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10... $25.96 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Channel-240-Pin... $29.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM BL2CP25664BA160A

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-12-Interna... $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s with NCQ 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST31000524AS

http://www.amazon.com/Liteon-iHAS324-DVD-RW-Optical-Dri... $20.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Liteon iHAS324 24X DVD-RW SATA Optical Disk Drive

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSI-560MD1 $188.99 Free Shipping
MSI nVidia GeForce GTX560 1GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card - N560GTX-M2D1GD5

Total: $805.88 *not including rebates, and promo codes

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- that same board on newegg

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- another look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0
October 12, 2011 10:59:26 PM

Why_Me said:
Here's a build that allows you to add another one of those cards later on in SLI. Just another option to look at.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Three-Hundred-External-Inte... $44.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-80PLUS-Bronze-Performance-Sup... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
OCZ ZS Series 750 Watt 80PLUS Bronze Performance ATX Power Supply - OCZ-ZS750W

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z68E3G3 $124.99 Free Shipping
ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 LGA1155

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-2500KBX $214.99 Free Shipping 10% off your order (max $10) w/ code: HOOT, ends 10/17
Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 CPU, Retail - BX80623I52500K

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10... $25.96 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Channel-240-Pin... $29.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM BL2CP25664BA160A

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-12-Interna... $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s with NCQ 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST31000524AS

http://www.amazon.com/Liteon-iHAS324-DVD-RW-Optical-Dri... $20.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Liteon iHAS324 24X DVD-RW SATA Optical Disk Drive

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSI-560MD1 $188.99 Free Shipping
MSI nVidia GeForce GTX560 1GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card - N560GTX-M2D1GD5

Total: $805.88 *not including rebates, and promo codes

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- that same board on newegg

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- another look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0

great build, except I still don't recommend a non-ti gtx 560, even though they are pretty decent. the 560ti is definitely worth the extra cash.
October 13, 2011 12:25:01 AM

Why_Me said:
Here's a build that allows you to add another one of those cards later on in SLI. Just another option to look at.

http://www.amazon.com/Antec-Three-Hundred-External-Inte... $44.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Antec Three Hundred Gaming Case External 3 X 5.25; Internal 6 X 3.5 2*Usb2.0

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-80PLUS-Bronze-Performance-Sup... $99.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
OCZ ZS Series 750 Watt 80PLUS Bronze Performance ATX Power Supply - OCZ-ZS750W

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MB-Z68E3G3 $124.99 Free Shipping
ASRock Z68 EXTREME3 GEN3 LGA1155

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=I5-2500KBX $214.99 Free Shipping 10% off your order (max $10) w/ code: HOOT, ends 10/17
Intel Core i5 Processor i5-2500K 3.3GHz 6MB LGA1155 CPU, Retail - BX80623I52500K

http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-Hyper-Sleeve-RR-B10... $25.96 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 120mm Sleeve CPU Cooler, RR-B10-212P-G1

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-Ballistix-Channel-240-Pin... $29.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Crucial Ballistix Sport 4 Dual Channel Kit DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM BL2CP25664BA160A

http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Barracuda-7200-12-Interna... $54.99 & this item ships for FREE with Super Saver Shipping
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB 7200RPM SATA 6Gb/s with NCQ 32MB Cache 3.5 Inch Internal Bare Drive ST31000524AS

http://www.amazon.com/Liteon-iHAS324-DVD-RW-Optical-Dri... $20.99 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25
Liteon iHAS324 24X DVD-RW SATA Optical Disk Drive

http://www.superbiiz.com/detail.php?name=MSI-560MD1 $188.99 Free Shipping
MSI nVidia GeForce GTX560 1GB DDR5 2DVI/Mini HDMI PCI-Express Video Card - N560GTX-M2D1GD5

Total: $805.88 *not including rebates, and promo codes

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168... <---- that same board on newegg

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=Z68%20Extre... <----- another look at that board

http://www.asrock.com/microsite/PCIe3/ <----- PCI-E 3.0


alright thanks. ill look into this.
how many gb are the ram i dont see it on the site
October 13, 2011 1:21:43 AM

pokettomonstua said:
alright thanks. ill look into this.
how many gb are the ram i dont see it on the site

I think it's 4gb, cause they're just two sticks, and $30 seems to be about right for 4gb. you could get 8gb for just $20 more, while it is worth it, you don't really need more than 4gb for most games.
October 13, 2011 1:54:13 AM

I would change the hard drive to something with 64 MB cache. It will make a big difference. Remember, your hard drive will be your bottleneck. I'm glad to see that you chose a smaller hard drive; the larger ones can add to the latency.

I prefer 'enterprise' class, as they are more reliable, but it could add $30 to your build. Good luck.
Anonymous
October 13, 2011 3:47:54 AM

AainR said:
I would change the hard drive to something with 64 MB cache. It will make a big difference. Remember, your hard drive will be your bottleneck. I'm glad to see that you chose a smaller hard drive; the larger ones can add to the latency.

I prefer 'enterprise' class, as they are more reliable, but it could add $30 to your build. Good luck.


???
Larger drives often means larger densities which means lower latency.

Also no major difference between 32mb and 64mb.
October 13, 2011 4:02:43 AM

i too recommend the asrock z68 extreme3 gen3. great board with 200 dollar features.
October 13, 2011 2:09:46 PM

cbrunnem said:
i too recommend the asrock z68 extreme3 gen3. great board with 200 dollar features.

+1
October 13, 2011 3:45:53 PM

should i get a aftermarket heatsink/fan
October 13, 2011 6:10:13 PM

pokettomonstua said:
should i get a aftermarket heatsink/fan

if you plan to overclock
October 13, 2011 7:45:37 PM

ohs alright. can the heatsink/fan be change if i install the stock heatsink/fan?

and would the asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 be good for sli?
because im think of getting gtx 550 ti for now and grab a 2nd one when i have more money.


thanks in advance.
Anonymous
October 13, 2011 10:15:09 PM

pokettomonstua said:
ohs alright. can the heatsink/fan be change if i install the stock heatsink/fan?

and would the asrock z68 extreme3 gen3 be good for sli?
because im think of getting gtx 550 ti for now and grab a 2nd one when i have more money.


thanks in advance.

Yes and yes. But don't bother getting sli. I don't think its worth it.
October 13, 2011 11:43:58 PM

get one good gpu instead of 2 decent ones. some games barely take advantage of the second gpu
October 14, 2011 12:48:37 AM

most of the games that don't benefit from sli are the ones that don't require a ton of gpu power
October 14, 2011 12:54:14 AM

morgoth780 said:
most of the games that don't benefit from sli are the ones that don't require a ton of gpu power


those same one would benefit if you have a decent cpu like a 2500k
October 14, 2011 1:02:02 AM

cbrunnem said:
those same one would benefit if you have a decent cpu like a 2500k

i5 2500k owns pretty much every game there currently is, except for fsx
October 14, 2011 1:50:04 AM

morgoth780 said:
i5 2500k owns pretty much every game there currently is, except for fsx


haha agreed but i totally butchered what i was trying to get at.

i tried to say those same games would benefit from sli or crossfire if the computer had a good cpu like the 2500k
October 14, 2011 3:21:17 AM

cbrunnem said:
haha agreed but i totally butchered what i was trying to get at.

i tried to say those same games would benefit from sli or crossfire if the computer had a good cpu like the 2500k

oh ok
the only problem I see with the i5 2500k is that it's almost always bottlenecked unless you spend a fortune on graphics cards
October 14, 2011 3:22:18 AM

pokettomonstua said:
gtx 460 or gtx 560 ti?

I don't understand exactly what you're talking about, but you wouldn't want to go anything under a 560ti at your budget
October 14, 2011 3:32:04 AM

morgoth780 said:
I don't understand exactly what you're talking about, but you wouldn't want to go anything under a 560ti at your budget


i don't know much about gpu. this is my first time...
October 14, 2011 3:36:42 AM

pokettomonstua said:
i don't know much about gpu. this is my first time...

that's ok, however you may want to consider getting gtx 570 sli(yeah, I know i'm bombarding you with options) as a single 570 tends to only get 4fps on average less than a 580, for almost $200 less. 570sli will easily be much better than a single 580, but for only $100 more.
October 14, 2011 3:55:21 AM

The only problem with him getting a 570 would be he would have to drop to like an 955BE (Which is still an amazing processor) to be able to achieve the extra 100 needed for the gtx 570 as they are 100 bucks for than a gtx 560ti. Still a viable option though.
October 14, 2011 4:04:28 AM

gamer128 said:
The only problem with him getting a 570 would be he would have to drop to like an 955BE (Which is still an amazing processor) to be able to achieve the extra 100 needed for the gtx 570 as they are 100 bucks for than a gtx 560ti. Still a viable option though.


wouldnt a stock 955be bottleneck sli gtx 570s?
October 14, 2011 4:08:13 AM

Yes it would probably bottleneck TWO 570s, however you can't get two 570s in an 800 dollar budget. It wouldn't bottleneck one 570 though.
!