Pentium G630 - ideal budget mobo?

benhamilton

Honorable
Nov 8, 2012
Am getting the Pentium G630 and need a mobo to go with. The build will be for cubase use and games. I live in UK, and am thinking about the GIGABYTE GA-B75M-D3H which is £52.79 at the moment from aria.co.uk.

Is this motherboard overkill for my needs? There are cheaper ones. I think the main selling points are PCI-E 3, but not sure thats relevant for me.

I was thinking about getting a GTX 650 or a HD7850 GPU to go with this set up for games like Guild Wars II or Battlefield 3.

keithmfr

Honorable
Sep 23, 2012
The motherboard would be good for you. Having an extra PCI-E slot is always good for upgrading headroom. There won't be much bottleneck on your CPU, but it all depends on the game. It may bottleneck a little in Battlefield 3, but not big to where you notice it. PCI-E 3 is relevant to you. A GTX 650 Ti is a PCI 3.0 Card and so is a 7850. I recommend the GTX 650 Ti because it's better.

Good luck on your build.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
PCIe 3.0 is completely irrelevant to you - PCIe 2.0 is still more than enough bandwidth for any video card today, and the Pentium G630 doesn't even have a PCIe 3.0 controller. I don't think any motherboard in that price range is really going to have anything compelling over another (except for extra PCIe slots; not sure whether or not you'd need them), so I'd simply go with what's affordable, like this ASRock H61M-DGS for £39.56 (not sure if that includes VAT or anything like that).

Also, the 650ti is not better than the 7850 by any stretch of the imagination.

+1 for mousseng

The Intel® Pentium™ G630 uses the 2nd generation Intel® Core™ micro-architecture (also known as Sandy Bridge). So it would not support PCI-e 3.0. Even the 3rd generation Intel Core i3's will only support PCI-e 2.0. So a board like the ASRock H61M-DGS would be a nice fit for your needs.