Arctic silver 5 Thermal paste on i5 750 cpu contacts

rickzor

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2007
I know, how dumb of me...no need to tell :lol:

Well, needless to say i tried to remove the stain from the cpu contacts, and even with special electronic contact cleaner the cpu contacts that were dirty now look less shiny than the unafected contacts (not rusty thankfuly, just less shiny).

Cpu works like a charm, no problem there but i really don't like those stains on the cpu contacts and now to make things more dumber i remember i didn't even tried cleaning it with simple ethylic alcool.

Do you think i should give it a try with ethylic alcool ? I ask this because it's an assle to remove the cooler from the cpu. I actually need to take the whole motherboard of the case for that and i would be mad with myself if i did it for nothing.

Also, are there any other good\safe methods for cleaning cpu contacts?
I'm quite embaraced because of this as nothing even close to this ever happened to me, so i really hope you can help me.

Thanks in advance.

signor

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
I had a similar problem back when I was new to building PC's and actually cleaned it with white spirit (industrial cleaner) then gave it a clean after with the contact cleaner after, worked a treat.

PS, unsure if this can cause damage but I didnt have any issues.