Sign in with
Your question

Is my processor the problem?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
January 12, 2012 10:25:21 AM

I'm currently running a 9350e quad core (Running at 2.00 ghz per core.) with 6 gigs of DDR2 (Clocked at 1600 I think), a 500w Rosewill power supply that is a few years old and a HD 4770 and I was getting a poor fps on Star Wars the Old Republic, particularly in crowded areas and in PvP was horrible lag.

I recently spent $250 on a GTX 560 TI and my fps was exactly the same as my HD4770 with no performance increase.

My sister who gets flawless FPS on her i5 with a hd6770 let me try her HD 6770 in my PC. Once again there was no FPS increase what so ever.

Is my processor the problem? It's a quad core but is only 2.00 ghz per core. Is it my several year old 500w power supply?

I'm really frustrated and I've ruled out it's not my Video card since not matter what card I use I get the same FPS, even trying my sisters card and she gets perfect FPS still didn't help.

Any help is very much appreciated since it looks like I'm going to have to go buy a new PC and it's really going to be hard to afford it after buying a new video card.

Thanks.

More about : processor problem

a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 10:56:18 AM

try overclocking your processor and see if the framerates improve
m
l
January 12, 2012 10:58:51 AM

Xaed01 said:
I'm currently running a 9350e quad core (Running at 2.00 ghz per core.) with 6 gigs of DDR2 (Clocked at 1600 I think), a 500w Rosewill power supply that is a few years old and a HD 4770 and I was getting a poor fps on Star Wars the Old Republic, particularly in crowded areas and in PvP was horrible lag.

I recently spent $250 on a GTX 560 TI and my fps was exactly the same as my HD4770 with no performance increase.

My sister who gets flawless FPS on her i5 with a hd6770 let me try her HD 6770 in my PC. Once again there was no FPS increase what so ever.

Is my processor the problem? It's a quad core but is only 2.00 ghz per core. Is it my several year old 500w power supply?

I'm really frustrated and I've ruled out it's not my Video card since not matter what card I use I get the same FPS, even trying my sisters card and she gets perfect FPS still didn't help.

Any help is very much appreciated since it looks like I'm going to have to go buy a new PC and it's really going to be hard to afford it after buying a new video card.

Thanks.

1)Your CPU is designed at low power usage though it's quad core. Only 65W most, poor thing. Worse is the cpu is 65nm, which means lower efficiency than the last CPU generations -- 45nm. Power consumption means performence. Your should probably buy a new CPU and motherboard because 32nm CPUs are not compatible with your old motherboard.
2) I think this is where the problem lies, your operating system. As we all known, whatever operating systems are, it would be running slower and slower as time goes by, which caused by the rubbish files piled up in your computer. This flaw of operating system makes every program running on your PC jammed. If your system have been used for long time without reinstallation, I highly recommemd that reinstall to win7 or win8.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 11:06:25 AM

in order to make suggestions for an upgrade we need to know the rest of your hardware. the processor is old and the make of the mobo is essential........ for cpu upgrade info and if you need to do a BIOS update before installing the potential new processor. include the opsys ( XP 32bit ? )....... and if you're not running your ram in dual channel mode that will also slow things down. 6g sounds like an odd number. What's the set up ?
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:08:33 AM

It might be your PSU. I had an old PSU in my case with my current set-up, it was 800W but had rubbish Amps on its 12V rail. I recently brought a new GPU, GTX275 and my system appeared to run it OK unitill I tried to game, it would shut my machine down. I did notice that when it was running in Windows, the GPU was in its power save mode, so clock speeds were very low untill I gamed and they woud jump up, then draw more power and cause my machine to shutdown. Perhaps, yorr GPU don't have enough power to run at full wack. 500W does seem very little and its not a well known, decent make of PSU. Check your power consumption and what your PSU kicks out.
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:25:56 AM

swifty_morgan said:
in order to make suggestions for an upgrade we need to know the rest of your hardware. the processor is old and the make of the mobo is essential........ for cpu upgrade info and if you need to do a BIOS update before installing the potential new processor. include the opsys ( XP 32bit ? )....... and if you're not running your ram in dual channel mode that will also slow things down. 6g sounds like an odd number. What's the set up ?

I'm running Windows Vista 64 bit Ultimate Edition.

You're correct about my Ram. I was running SWTOR with 4gigs of dual channel ram. I figured I had nothing to lose so I removed 2 gigs of DDR2 from a spare computer and put it in with my 4 gigs. It seemed to make no difference performance wise negative or positive.

My mother board make is a Asus M3N78-VM AM2+ board. Though because of Bios/Ram issues if I upgrade my CPU I'll probably just have to buy a new motherboard.
m
l
January 12, 2012 11:54:40 AM

SIMPLE YOUR PCI-E IS SUPPORT ALL CARDS BUT ITS SLOW ,IF U HAVE MONEY CHANGE MOTHERBOARD ,NO PROSSOR COMPLIND KEEP PLAYING, if processor complind system does nt boot
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 12:32:34 PM

hitechgowthaman said:
SIMPLE YOUR PCI-E IS SUPPORT ALL CARDS BUT ITS SLOW ,IF U HAVE MONEY CHANGE MOTHERBOARD ,NO PROSSOR COMPLIND KEEP PLAYING, if processor complind system does nt boot

Few things,

1. dont use caps like that. It makes sentences hard to read.

2. what is "complind"? :heink: 
m
l
January 12, 2012 2:02:01 PM

this is most definately a CPU issue. if I were you, I'd buy the cheapest phenom 2 quad core if you're on a budget. if you're not on a budget, I'd get a 955 or 965 BE. I had one of the first run tripple core processors and i got a big bump in performance when i moved to phenom 2. Make sure you get the BGM version with C3 stepping as opposed to BGI C2 stepping
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 12, 2012 2:03:15 PM

with the right BIOS you can put a 955 on it. if I'm not mistaken ASUS has software which will allow you to update it from the desktop.

If you upgrade mobo/ram/proc I would recommend a 2500 or 2600 from Intel at this point in time. No need for the "k" model unless you over clock.

have a budget ?
m
l
a c 116 à CPUs
January 12, 2012 3:21:27 PM

if you have sufficent cooling try to get your cpu up to 2.4 ghz at the very least. as swtor is very cpu bound...
m
l
a c 79 à CPUs
January 12, 2012 3:41:07 PM

hitechgowthaman said:

Aside from the intelligability issues, his PCI-E bus is not an issue.
m
l
!